New chain and cassette issues

steve_kay
steve_kay Posts: 197
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi guys. Yesterday i fitted a new 105 12-27t cassette and shimano chain to my Cube Agree GTC SL. Everything went on fine and after checking everything over i rotated the crank. On the highest gear (12t) one of the teeth keeps catching the chain and it jolts as it slides over the tooth. It looks like the the tooth is catching one of the link pins before dropping down into its proper position. I laid both old and new chain out before fitting and made sure the chain was the right size. Any ideas what may be causing this? Also, there seems to be a lot of noise coming from the cassette when its rotating in comparison to my old chain and cassette. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Steve

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    did you re-index the rear mech?

if not, that's probably the reason, use the barrel adjuster to tweak the position until shifting is smooth/quieter
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like a stiff link.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • steve_kay
    Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that I changed from a 12-28t to an 11-28t. No I haven't re-indexed the rear mech. I'm relatively new to cycling so I'm just learning as I go really. Reference the stiff link, it happens on the same tooth on the 11t cog each time, therefore it can't be a stiff link in theory.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Did you use the 11t lockring you should have received with the new cassette? If you've recycled the old 12t lockring it will prevent the chain from meshing properly with the 11t sprocket.
  • steve_kay
    Yeah I changed the lock ring I had with the one supplied with the new 11t cassette
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Then I'd also say it might be the indexing or the low limit screw needing a tweak.
  • steve_kay
    Yeah it was the high limit screw that needed an adjustment. Thanks for your input