Anyone still running bar ends out there?

2»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,317
    welshkev wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I don't think it's that uncommon. I started looking at various things and think the main issue for me was the angle of the bars, as they put too much pressure on the outside of my hands this seemed to make it worse. Flatter bars helped more, I went for carbon to see if that made a difference as well. I don't think the carbon made much, any, difference. Changing grips may help. Next time you ride think about your hands and if one area seems to have more pressure on it than anywhere else. Might help. Good luck.

It's usually just my left hand and after and hour or so. You might be right about the grips - the ones I've got on at the moment are cheap as chips and it's only gloves that make them ridable for any length of time.

a mate of mine used to get it quite badly and he changed to some of the ergon (?) grips. the ones with the sticky out bit on them:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/erg ... tAodCnwAOw

and now he doesn't get it at all
    Yes, that kind of grip with the sort of platform at the back are supposed to help. I've got the Specialized grips with that bit, then added bar ends. It was only when I went back to riding my old Marin for a bit with regular grips that I realised in spite of rigid forks and a lower front end I wasn't getting the tingling. Then I had the lightbulb moment and looked at the position of my hands and where the pressure was.
  • Well mine just turned up today...look quite promising...Sadly Chain Reaction sent me the wrong ODI Lock On grip pack (without the collars) so waiting for the collars to turn up before I can play. Obviously I blame Wiggle.

12208065586_f02057d2db.jpg
    DSC04513 by wormishere, on Flickr
    Remember Rule #5
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Potentially a rather naive question, given I'm relatively new to mtbing and have never used bar ends, but on the face of it it seems rather unsafe? Just seems like something to get caught in bushes/trees/rope marking trails etc and propel you otb. Suppose it depends on the trail and discipline though - please do correct me, Im somewhat curious!
  • Cookeh
    cyd190468 wrote:
    You can occasionally hook them on a small branch but it's fairly hard to do as most of them point inwards so the point of the bar end sits over you fingers so anything that you hook would have bashed you in the hand anyway. With or without bar ends, experience teaches you exactly how wide your bars are and it stops being a problem.

Cool, cheers man!
  • I hooked a small sapling on the inside of a bend the other day. Didn't do me any harm, but the guy behind me wasn't to chuffed when it sprung back and smacked him in the chops....

I only have them fitted on my race bike. I don't use them much. Only really for climbing out of the saddle, or occasionally on longer slow climbs, usually when I'm getting tired.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Cookeh wrote:
    Potentially a rather naive question, given I'm relatively new to mtbing and have never used bar ends, but on the face of it it seems rather unsafe? Just seems like something to get caught in bushes/trees/rope marking trails etc and propel you otb. Suppose it depends on the trail and discipline though - please do correct me, Im somewhat curious!

Additionally to the above, they're generally fitted to much narrower bars than are popular now, so it's even less of an issue.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I put some on my 29er hartail. I mainly use the bike (or intend to) for longer rides, they're just to give me an extra hand position.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    Got them on my Raleigh touring/road/winter/training bike.
    Better for all the bloody hills around here.
  • Cookeh
    njee20 wrote:
    Cookeh wrote:

Additionally to the above, they're generally fitted to much narrower bars than are popular now, so it's even less of an issue.

Righto, thanks.