Tune rear hub bearing

tweepz
tweepz Posts: 16
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
hello

my old tune mag 190 rear hub bearings are shot. really bad.

Please can someone offer advice on what to do?

I beleieve a few tools are needed and specail bearings : ?

I am in the midlands UK,

thanks for help.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    See if you can take the bearings out and look for the bearing code, or take them to a bearing shop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tweepz
    no bike shop has replied when i ask if they have the mag tool set.

the hub is 7 years old. was creaking for a while. I bought it , knowing it was modular and hoped bearings would be an easy thing to change. but a tools set is needed. not cheap.

i may just have to buy a new hub and relace onto the new rim and spokes i bought last year. (I also bought a new freehub in hope to stop the darn creaking ., arrg, it was the bearings all along : (
  • cooldad
    Unless you asked before Nick posted, Sunday afternoon is possibly not the best time to expect a reply.
    You'll need an actual Tune dealer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • tweepz
    i was emailing around last week to see if anyone had a tune hub tool and experience.
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    PoshBikes are a distributor, they're down in Kent, but they have all the servicing tools.

The centre bearing is a unique one to Tune hubs, so you'll need a dealer either way.
  • tweepz
    cooldad wrote:

thank you cooldad. i sent an email as I am on a night shift.
  • tweepz
    njee20 wrote:
    PoshBikes are a distributor, they're down in Kent, but they have all the servicing tools.

The centre bearing is a unique one to Tune hubs, so you'll need a dealer either way.

thanks for your advice njee20 : )

unfortunalety I had a bad experience with Posh bikes. The guy on the phone would not even give his name.
    thumbs down for posh bikes they will not get my money.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Mmm, yes, you're not alone in having had a bad experience! I'm not too sure of the differences between the non disc hubs, but there's exploded diagrams here for the Mag 180, which shows the proprietary bearing, but does say you can replace it with two separate bearings and a washer.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Email Tune; nice guys and they (well some) speak english.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • tweepz
    I contacted posh***** , like a fool, i thought id try again.

PB said , well, the bearings are hard to get for the old mag 190. not sure.
    send it in and i'll have a look.

ME:I informed him i would be without a wheel during this period. (< important to note)
    I then said, so can you get the bearings or not? are you capable of servicing my hub.

PB: Blah blah, we have been doing it for 25 years.

ME: then why can you not tell me if you can get the bearings, before I send you the wheel? Surly you should know?

PB:where did you get this wheel?

ME: Starbike.

PB: well, we havent earnt a penny from that then.

ME: what are you talking about? You are tunes service centre of the UK, i am after some service, i am prepared to pay!!! what is the max price for replacing all the bearings and fiting them.

PB: the max price is a new hub!

I am not kidding you. I had to put the phone down.

I am prepared to buy a new hub if it is damaged. But I paid all this money in the first place for a modular hub that could be serivced. I look after my hub, i cycle only 3 miles a day on the road and i believe, if i could replace the bearings, keep this hub running for 20 years or more.

but PB what to shift new units, and that is that.!!!

so i shall likely buy a new mag170 from bike24 or starbike. ffs. i really didnt want to buy all new at all.