KMC X10 link query

ew77
ew77 Posts: 57
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys
Just a quick query. Are the connecting links on the KMC X10 chains re-usable? i.e. once connected can they be disconnected again or are they like 10spd SRAM ones that once connected they are locked? The X10 chain on my ride is getting pretty mucky in this weather and ideally I'd like to take the chain off to give it a proper degrease/clean.
Thanks.

Comments

• WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Yes you just squeeze the links together and they open up they can be tight though.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Depends - they do reusable and non-reusable versions of the 10 speed links.
  • ew77
    Thanks for the quick responses guys.
    I've had a go at squeezing together to release (have sram connectors on my other bikes and assume the KMC ones will be similar action to release) but no joy so assume i've got the non-reuseable version installed on my bike. Will have a search to see where I can buy the re-useable versions from and install one......
  • They're quite difficult to get off the first time i find, almost always. Inevitably have to line the edge of the split link on something & give it a tap.I have been using KMC chains for donkeys but always the same initial OMG surely not proccess. After that removing the chain for cleaning is a doddle.

I suspect the sliding section just needs bedding in/the edge taken off it.
  • There are dedicated tools for splitting quick links.

Such as http://www.parktool.com/product/master- ... rs-mlp-1-2
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    They're quite difficult to get off the first time i find, almost always.

Yeah, after a fair few minutes getting nowhere with needle nose pliers (and just about to try my chain tool on it) I tried mine by hand and must've got just the right angle and it popped open easily.
  • ew77
    Guys,
    Many thanks for the input. I shall have another try and be more persistent this time....