Repair carbon sole on shoes

richiegwy
richiegwy Posts: 171
edited January 2014 in Road general
I recently crashed and chipped the edge of the sole of my s-works road shoes. There are a few chips in the carbon and hairline cracks on the white outer portion. Do they need to be replaced or can it be repaired?

Comments

• rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Cracks , replace.
  • richiegwy
    richiegwy Posts: 171
    The cracks are only hairline on the painted surface I'm thinking. Mainly chipped along the edge of the carbon sole where it contacted the ground. Really annoyed as they are not that old.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I've had chips and hairline cracks in mine for about three years. I wouldn't bother doing anything unless the crack was all the way through the carbon
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    If it is just the clear coat then that's fine.

Once the carbon as compromised then bin them.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I had something similar on a pair of Mavic Pro carbon shoes (shoe unexpectedly disengaged from the pedal and came back down with force giving a glancing blow to the inside edge). On inspection found a small bit of the edge had a number of carbon splinters/threads exposed. I stuck them back using Superglue as I didn't have any epoxy resin, and have used them for a few thousand miles since. Couldn't afford a new pair, hence the attempted fix, but the "repair" has held perfectly during that time, and I do check them regularly.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...