Hozan Rim Polishing Pad - Alloy Rim Care

hobbot
hobbot Posts: 37
edited January 2014 in Road general
fall and winter are hard on our rims and there is not that many rim-care products. Some riders use sand paper, some use magic eraser. Japanese brand Hozan came up with a dedicated rim polishing pad, short review here

Hozan-Rim-Polishing-Pad-1024x683.jpg

Comments

• I've seen these, but never used them. Seems to be you're just helping to wear your rim out quicker. I just use a scouring pad on the rim, and give my pads a good clean out when I think they need them.

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • I've seen these, but never used them. Seems to be you're just helping to wear your rim out quicker. I just use a scouring pad on the rim, and give my pads a good clean out when I think they need them.

I tend to agree... wash your rims.. no need to grind them
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    on the upside though, it is another chance to link to his website...
  • Imposter wrote:

He's not even subtle about it. Does he build wheels I wonder? :wink:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • He's not even subtle about it. Does he build wheels I wonder? :wink:

I have already told you once that your humour is getting repetitive and stale and it's time to move on. I am losing count of the number of posts of yours which are nothing more than empty statements, provocative and/or disruptive. Give it a cut, I mean it
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I would sooner read the SS banter than another 'What wheels', 'I nod/smile but they don't' or 'which bike for £x budget'.

Still, each to his own I suppose.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

I have already told you once that your humour is getting repetitive and stale and it's time to move on. I am losing count of the number of posts of yours which are nothing more than empty statements, provocative and/or disruptive. Give it a cut, I mean it

You are missing what is a fair point about the OPs posting - practically half his posts are links to his own site.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • report him and we'll have a look into it
  • imposter2.0
    report him and we'll have a look into it

You are already on the thread - why does it need reporting?
  • Had a quick look, it looks to me it's a blog... not a retail site, am I right? Indirectly the owner might get revenue due to the fact he takes adverts on there, but I find the articles he refers to pretty useful... they are cycling related

I'm sorry, I don't see the problem
  • rolf_f
    Had a quick look, it looks to me it's a blog... not a retail site, am I right? Indirectly the owner might get revenue due to the fact he takes adverts on there, but I find the articles he refers to pretty useful... they are cycling related

I'm not too fussed either way. All my point is is that whilst Shloppy can be irritating and tiresome he is at least here because he wants to be part of this forum in his own special way. On the other hand hobbot is here mainly to link to an external site when he could just as easily post his words here and contribute properly. Besides, what real difference does it make if he is always linking to a blog rather than a retail site? One is no more irritating than the other.
  • imposter2.0

Good job nobody reported it, like you asked, then. As Rolf says, the guy is not here to take part in discussion, he only seems to be here to link to his site.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Besides, what real difference does it make if he is always linking to a blog rather than a retail site? One is no more irritating than the other.

The difference is that one is within the rules one isn't. What irritates you might be enjoyable for others... his thread on Mike Cotty has been a hit... so even there I don't see the problem.
  • pfft a washing up sponge and some warm soapy water gets grime and the dreaded "grey paint" off in about 2 mins.
  • rolf_f
    Well, there are plenty of BR rules that really aren't very good or constructive and would make the forum a better place if they were changed but, yes, you are right in that respect.
    The thread on Mike Cotty's admirable ride has done well (not sure 2 pages so far is exactly a hit but never mind) - again it would have been better had there been more of it on here rather than the OPs site and maybe it would have made three pages by now had it done so - but how would this forum be if nobody ever posted anything other than links to their own sites? Hobban hasn't contributed any further to the Mike Cotty ride thread because he probably isn't that interested in it - he's done his bit and posted his link and rarely even contributes further to his own threads.
  • If a thread generates a positive discussion it's worth having it there... if the thread is just a link to other web location with no room for discussion, then it's not worth having it
  • hobbot
    Hey Guys, the website that I link to is our team blog. Since we have all the content in there it doesn't make sense to duplicate it here. I only post something that I think would bring value or be of someone's interest. As for being missing in action - just swamped by work and training. Cheers.
  • hobbot
    Imposter wrote:

No, I do not, unfortunately. But these particular wheels were hand built by one. I am not going to link to our team blog to avoid further accusations, but if you care go there and search for "wheel master" or "Bill Kother".
  • hobbot wrote:
    I am not going to link to our team blog to avoid further accusations, but if you care go there and search for "wheel master" or "Bill Kother".

There is no reason why you shouldn't link to your blog as part of an ongoing discussion. Your blog is not a retail site, therefore you are not breaking any rule by linking, if it's consistent with the topic.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    The rim cleaning blocks (used once in a while ) do work well and remove virtually no metal. They can be found cheaply on ebay. Engineers use them - abrasive rubber blocks (Garryflex). The medium abrasive version works best. Use with soapy water for the best results.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    A old kitchen sponge works perfectly well also, after its got to manky for washing dishes. its relugated to bike cleaning duties.
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    A old kitchen sponge works perfectly well also, after its got to manky for washing dishes. its relugated to bike cleaning duties.

I see I'm not alone... those 5 p sponges get two lives here too... as well as toothbrushes... :mrgreen:
  • I use fine emery to carefully remove any small lumps thrown up by grit in the pads , then use Scotchbright to remove the rest of the grime build up, its kept my 2006 Kysrium SL ,s rims in good nick for the near 20,000 miles they have done now.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Seems to me that these rim polishing pads are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, except in the eyes of people who WANT to believe that bicycles require this kind of thing. Much like people who believe that certain oils / lubes are better for your chain than everything else on the same shelf or that you need / must have a torque wrench or that ceramic bearings are the answer to your problems or that it's imperative that you own 3rd. and 4th. hand tools(sorry, basically useless junk as far as I'm concerned). Sorry, but I rant on. :oops: