First Rd bike for mamil - advice please

2»

Comments

• boydster76 wrote:
    Am I along in hating the MAMIL acronym?

You are not alone. It was used only to in humour and to catch peoples eye. In my case it should be BUMAMIL anyway.
  • Thanks everyone - going to go around lots of lbs shops this week and will post my final contenders later - in case anybody would like to comment.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do let us know how you get on and what you end up getting.
    Have fun ;-)
  • I have been around a number of bike shops and looked at several bikes and ridden a few.
    With my bike knowledge and experience at nill, I can’t say that the few minutes on each has gained me a thing – none felt a lot different (except the dearer bikes have a nicer gear change) though I’m sure that on the road after a few miles, even a complete beginner will be able to tell differences.

I looked at Planet X RT58 Ultegra and didn’t like it.
    I liked the Giant Defy Advanced 2 – but it seems dear for the kit level.
    Someone recommended the Eddy Merckx EMX -1 Ultegra –and I have found a 2013 in my size for £1600 which sounds a particularly good price – its hour and half drive from me so it is a definite contender.
    I like the look of the Cervelo R3 but on further investigation the 2014 R3 105 (£2000) is the old frame. The new 2014 Ultegra is the new frame with the internal cabling and better wheels but it is £3100.

I will decide in the next few days
  • +1 for using Evans test ride service. I went in the store with £1500 to spend and after riding 6 of various spec I walked out with a £700 bike as it suited me the best which I love and ride 25 miles most days. I think the Evans experience is all down to the assistant you get and how keen they are to find something right for you. I know "my" assistant quite well now and he knows the riding I do and my needs.
  • I have placed my order - Cervelo R3 Ultegra.
    Rather more than my initial budget!

Thanks for all the input.