Mekk 3G Potenza

Tiberius007
Tiberius007 Posts: 195
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi
Anyone have any experience or advice re the MEKK brand and in particular the 3G Potenza SL 5.5 with Ultegra Groupset (not full though)?
Current selling for about £1200, seems good for the Ultegra set up and it seems to be more relaxed geometry, jst what I need. There is also a slightly cheaper 105 version.
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• I have a Poggio with a few modification's. Excellent bikes IMO. New British company with positive reviews across the whole range.

Potenza gets some good reviews also and at the current prices they are excellent value. They are selling cheap bwcuase the 2014 range will be coming soon with full groupsets. Wheels and break set are pretty bog standard however but do the job. The frames are excellent though.
  • I have a Poggio with a few modification's. Excellent bikes IMO. New British company with positive reviews across the whole range.

Potenza gets some good reviews also and at the current prices they are excellent value. They are selling cheap bwcuase the 2014 range will be coming soon with full groupsets. Wheels and break set are pretty bog standard however but do the job. The frames are excellent though.

:D Thanks. Not many reviews on them though. But good to know yours is good for you.
    Currently looking at Ribbles but saw these with a very good spec for price, can upgrade brakes etc just trying to decide if they are as good as the Ribble which was so comfortable with the bowed top tube. But the Potenza seems to have good relaxed geometry as well.
    Is your Poggio good for distance?

:D Thanks. Not many reviews on them though. But good to know yours is good for you.
    Currently looking at Ribbles but saw these with a very good spec for price, can upgrade brakes etc just trying to decide if they are as good as the Ribble which was so comfortable with the bowed top tube. But the Potenza seems to have good relaxed geometry as well.
    Is your Poggio good for distance?

Poggio is better than the old Ribble Grand Fondo because I've had that and still have a Ribble 7005. !!
    Poggio is on the race side of things TBH. Its got a low headtube so spacers are needed. However the Poggio is flaxable for racing too- it can go low lowering the stem. I can do 100+miles with it but it becomes a little uncomfortable after those distances mainly due to stifness on our rough country roads.

The Potenza is a fully relaxed yet efficient bike. Built for those who want long distance comfort. Looking at the geometry and reviews its stretched out slightly.

There isn't much about because Mekk have only just started out in 2012 and have only had 2 seasons. Lots of user reviews on wiggle.

Are you looking at the 2013 version ? - http://www.mekkbicycles.com/Mekk-Potenza-55.aspx
  • Thanks Rick

The Mekk is the 2013 model according to Wiggle site.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-3g-potenza-sl50-105-2013/

They have the 105 and Ultegra groupset, albeit not full.

My fear with the Mekk is I cannot see it where as the Ribble I have been fitted up for one so know exactly ho wit feels etc. However then again the Mekk is over £200 cheaper for the the 105 version. It does look a lovely bike especially in black.

Agree with you lots of positives on Wiggle, but are they worth risking nearly £1k.
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    Half of the MEKK brand ride with my club from time to time. As a result a number of guys ride them. They are great frames and our riders have had no issues whatsoever. They appear to ride very well.

The owners have put a lot of time in to design, testing and building. I think they would be more popular if they had a better name!

Don't think you will be disappointed, but I ride Cannondales.
  • Thanks Rick

The Mekk is the 2013 model according to Wiggle site.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-3g-potenza-sl50-105-2013/

They have the 105 and Ultegra groupset, albeit not full.

My fear with the Mekk is I cannot see it where as the Ribble I have been fitted up for one so know exactly ho wit feels etc. However then again the Mekk is over £200 cheaper for the the 105 version. It does look a lovely bike especially in black.

Agree with you lots of positives on Wiggle, but are they worth risking nearly £1k.

My Poggio was a wiggle deal too + at the time they were only in their first year and it was the first bike I ever bought on-line having always gone to LBS's. I used the savings for some upgrades like lighter wheels and making it full groupset, black bartape and saddle.
    MEKK have definitely put frames first and IMO better than Ribble having had Ribbles already. + makes a change and having a new name down the tube does make people take a second look.

Buying online is a risk yes, but then again your getting a good deal and if you choose the right size you shouldn't go that far wrong.

I have been eyeing up a MEKK Primo http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-med ... &h=430&a=7 like Graham Bells .... https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 1731_o.jpg
  • vespario wrote:
    Half of the MEKK brand ride with my club from time to time. As a result a number of guys ride them. They are great frames and our riders have had no issues whatsoever. They appear to ride very well.

The owners have put a lot of time in to design, testing and building. I think they would be more popular if they had a better name!

Don't think you will be disappointed, but I ride Cannondales.

Thanks for the info. The joys of decisions. :?
  • Thanks Rick

Buying online is a risk yes, but then again your getting a good deal and if you choose the right size you shouldn't go that far wrong.

Thanks again Rick.

That Primo indeed has the visual looks and the spec is good too.

As for my purchase thanks again for your advice and comments. As much as I like the Mekk and all it has to offer I think the frame size is going to seal the deal, or maybe that should be none deal. I think I may need the 56cm frame and they only have the 54cm in the Potenza Ultegra and only 52cm in the 105 specs respectively. Just not sure I could take that chance without sight/feel etc. I think I need to compare the like for like measurements of the geometry with the GF, as I felt more comfortable on their larger size than on the medium for some reason. I thought it would have been the opposite. :?:

Either that or I wait for the 2014 model but then again that wont be such a good offer :?

Back to the interweb. :(

Anyway I have not written it off just yet.
  • Thanks Rick

Thanks again Rick.

That Primo indeed has the visual looks and the spec is good too.

As for my purchase thanks again for your advice and comments. As much as I like the Mekk and all it has to offer I think the frame size is going to seal the deal, or maybe that should be none deal. I think I may need the 56cm frame and they only have the 54cm in the Potenza Ultegra and only 52cm in the 105 specs respectively. Just not sure I could take that chance without sight/feel etc. I think I need to compare the like for like measurements of the geometry with the GF, as I felt more comfortable on their larger size than on the medium for some reason. I thought it would have been the opposite. :?:

Either that or I wait for the 2014 model but then again that wont be such a good offer :?

Back to the interweb. :(

Anyway I have not written it off just yet.

Yes I would look at the geometry in comparison to the GF you sized up and see in the 54 matches.
    I'm 180cm tall with a 85cm inside leg. My Poggio is a 54cm frame. Its on the lower end size wize for my height as I was in the 54-56 range.

The Potenza however has a relaxed geometry so a 54 Potenza would feel more relaxed than a 54 Poggio.

This place still has them but they are more expensive... http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/c ... /Carbon%27

They say a 52cm is for those around 5'8" - 5'9" and 54cm 5'9"" - 5'11"
  • Thanks Rick.
    As much as I do like that bike up closer to £1500 is beyond my current budget, which is why the Wiggle offer was such good offer.
    Anyway I am still looking at geometries and recollected some high school maths with angles and calculators :-) how sad but I did enjoy it.
    Just getting a better idea of the sizes.
    Well I am sure when I see it it will be the right one.
    Thanks for your help so far.
  • How tall are you and what is your inside leg?

Im 180cm with a 84cm incise leg and the 54cm Poggio fits so a 54 Potenza (more relaxed and stretched) would feel a slightly larger bike.

However there are some other alternatives for relaxed rides around. The Ribble Grand Fondo is a decent enough bike too but its more like the Poggio imo - sportive racer.

Rose bikes in Germany have some excellent specs for the £ - the GF Range of Aluminium and Carbon bikes are Roses relaxed ones.
    Check out Planet X too although I don't think they have any "relaxed" rides more like sportive GF / Poggio type.

Raleighs Carbon Revenio range are relaxed side too. and get good reviews.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Raleigh-Revenio ... _60756.htm

there isnt many super relaxed sportive s out there.
  • Tiberius007
    How tall are you and what is your inside leg?

Im 180cm with a 84cm incise leg and the 54cm Poggio fits so a 54 Potenza (more relaxed and stretched) would feel a slightly larger bike.

However there are some other alternatives for relaxed rides around. The Ribble Grand Fondo is a decent enough bike too but its more like the Poggio imo - sportive racer.

Rose bikes in Germany have some excellent specs for the £ - the GF Range of Aluminium and Carbon bikes are Roses relaxed ones.
    Check out Planet X too although I don't think they have any "relaxed" rides more like sportive GF / Poggio type.

Raleighs Carbon Revenio range are relaxed side too. and get good reviews.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Raleigh-Revenio ... _60756.htm

there isnt many super relaxed sportive s out there.

Thanks
    Believe it or not I am still looking. Did fancy the potenza which was on offer. By the time I convinced myself the framesize had gone. Was good spec to at good price.
    I am 5'10 with a 31" inside leg (whatever that is in new money) :D
    And now i have just seen the new Azzurro which looks nice.
    What I am really after is a relaxed and light bike, I do like the look of the carbons but there are so many choices.
    See I thought the Poggio was more of a racer and the Potenza was the sportive bike from what I read on th eMekk site.
    Anyway thanks again for all your advice.
  • nedmoran
    nedmoran Posts: 53
    I've had the 3g potenza 105 for a week now and when i'm descending over 30 miles an hour my bars get very wobbly. I had a giant defy 3 before this and could descend the same hills at 50 mph without this happening. Anyone else get this problem?
  • Tiberius007
    Doesnt sound good. Not had that problem on anything before though. Sorry I know that doesnt help you.