position in the cx bike?

javidr
javidr Posts: 133
edited January 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi

I have done today my first run in my cx bike and i have some pain in the back. I dont feel very confortable in the bike. Compared with the falcon adventurer, there are 5 cm more of distance to the handlebar, so the position in the bike is totally different

I dont know if it is because i have picked the wrong size (i dont even know if i can adjust the stem height), or if this is something totally natural because of the change of ride style

Any comments please?

Thank you

Comments

• bobley
    bobley Posts: 60
    Upper back around the shoulders or lower back?
    What size frame did you get (54?).
    How long is the current stem, I presume its a 6°angled down?
    What is the distance from saddle tip to bar centreline
    What is the drop from the saddle to the bar.
  • javidr
    Hi

I have pain in the lumbars.

It is a 57 size. My height is 1.79cm

This is the full description for the bike
    http://www.norco.com/bikes/road/cyclocr ... old-alloy/

I have bought a stem lift, hopefully having the stem higher will help...
  • bobley
    Yeah it might help. It sounds like a big bike for your size. My road bike is a 57cm along the top tube too. I had a similar back pain so I took it to Kinetic Velo (Ben) and got it all fitted to me.

http://kineticvelo.co.uk/bike-fitting-2 ... -packages/

He comes out to meet you at a local bike shop so he can swap parts over to get the bike right on the spot.

My bike came with a 120mm stem and I found that when I'm riding on the hoods and I look down at the bars I could see the front skewer/axle behind the handlebar tops so as a rough starting point I decided to fit a 90mm stem, with this fitted I found that the skewer was now out of sight so thats a good start. Ben then swapped the handlebars for narrower ones to suit my shoulders and then monkied about with the seat position and levers for quite some time. The fit cost £80 and I had to pay the LBS (Baines Racing in Silverstone) a further £36 for new Deda bars and tape. Ben fitted it all and gave the bike a look over. He also said he'd dial in my pedals FOC if I bought decent shoes and I went back to meet him...

Anyway, after that the bike went like stink and I could feel a whole pile of new muscles working and now the pain has gone.

To be honest you may find you just need to get used to the bike, but a fit session is always a good idea.

My new CX bike is a lot smaller (54cm) and came with a 90mm stem but I've stretched it out to get it in a similar stance to my road bike (all be it a bit shorter) by fitting a 110mm stem. You can have my spare 90mm stem if you want to try it.
  • javidr
    The bike is from evans and i have 90 days to return it if i dont like, so worst case scenario i will replace for a 54cm

how tall are you?
  • bobley
    I'm the same height as you. It looks like we're on the margin between the 2 sizes. Given that I've had my "large" bike fitted down to my size and I've bodged the small bike up in size, then I'd say that you just need to do some tweaking. Get a ruler and spirit level out and measure up your 2 bikes and find out where the differences are.
  • javidr
    So you are running a 57 frame in your road bike ? Maybe my problem is just that... I have to get used to this new style and my nuscles too!

Thank you!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    take a picture of yourself on the bike from the side after having warmed up for 20 mins and post it.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.