10spd shifters, 11-36t cassette, 9spd R Mech?

alp777
alp777 Posts: 211
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi

Thinking of converting a road bike for touring, have a question regarding compatibility....
Will Shimano Tiagra STI, 10-speed shifters, 50-34 chainset, a 11-36 Shimano SLX 10 Speed Cassette and a SGS long Cage Shimano SLX M662 Shadow 9 Speed Rear Mech all work nicely together? Oh and will I have to use a MTB specific chain if it does?

Thanks.

Comments

• bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    The cable pull ratios are satisfied (2:1).

The capacity requirement of your proposed drivetrain (41T) is satisfied by the stated capacity of the RD (45T).

The max cog 36T on the proposed cassette might be an issue (max stated for SLX RD-M662 is 34T), however, Shimano are usually quite conservative when it comes max cog size and/or, depending on hanger geometry, the SLX will very likely accommodate 2 or 3 more teeth.

Any brand 10-speed Shimano compatible chain will work: SRAM, KMC, Yaban, Wipperman, Sunrace etc.
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    Thanks for the response bikaholic, will give it a go! :)
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Officially, 9spd MTB mechs will work with 10spd road STI but I've done this a few times now and I've found the mech overshifts slightly. Others haven't found this so it may be a odd aberration but there you go. To sort it out I changed the cable clamping position (easier on the shadow mechs than ones with traditional cable routing), so the mech moves a tad less for each click, which sorted it. But straight out of the box, it's overshifted on at least 4 separate setups.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    I bought an RD-M772 to work with 105 10sp shifters and 11-32cogs and spent a lot of time trying to get it right. I was not satisfied and put a 105 changer on the back. This changed much better but "scrubbed" the 32t sprocket. I now plan to get an Ultegra RD-6800 GS changer which copes with 32t.
    I read on one forum a comment that the new "shadow" mechs were not as good as the older designs!