Crown race compatibility

Cqc
Cqc Posts: 951
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I'm swapping the forks from 2 bikes, both with 1 1/8 steerers, and both with open headset bearings, and would prefer not to have to change the crown races around. Is there any reasons why one crown race wouldn't work on the others headset and vice versa, or can I leave them?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The crown race is specific to the headset, so if the headsets are the same, no problem, otherwise it probably will be.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cqc
    But if the headsets are both open bearing, then what difference could there be? If its the lower bearing/cup, then could I see if the lower bearing on one bike fits into the lower cup of the other, and if so they're the same size? In that case will they fit?
  • cooldad
    Yes, if they are the same they will work, if not they won't.

Two caged bearing headsets

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... p-prod1066

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ritc ... -prod17224

Bet the crown races are different.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cqc
    If they're not compatible, what happens?
  • cooldad
    The balls won't be running on a race. Try them and see.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cqc
    It fit :)
  • cooldad
    Result
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cqc wrote:
    If they're not compatible, what happens?
    Things might not seat correctly.

Seals might not work.

Parts might rub.

If an actual crown race balks might wear fast as the two are not matched.

For example FSA make about a dozen crown races for one size steerer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    nicklouse wrote:
    For example FSA make about a dozen crown races for one size steerer.
    Yep, and though they might look the same they aren't
  • Cqc
    Well the bearings turn smoothly so I can only hope
  • why not change them, its like a 10 minute job and costs frackall..

Whereas if there is a problem, it could potentially set you back 2 new headsets if it knackers the cups.
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    All you need is a hammer and a big flat head and work your way round til its free, why damage your bearings for the sake of being lazy? yeah it may fit but it may not run smooth for long... if you cant change a crown race you have little hope of performing any other kind of bike maintenance
  • BigAl
    fizik wrote:
    if you cant change a crown race you have little hope of performing any other kind of bike maintenance

What?

They can be a pig to get off sometimes unless you have a proper puller. Most folks don't

I don't have a flat head so guess that rules me out
  • fizik
    edited January 2014
    BigAl wrote:
    fizik wrote:
    if you cant change a crown race you have little hope of performing any other kind of bike maintenance

What?

They can be a pig to get off sometimes unless you have a proper puller. Most folks don't

Ha well I should of said flathead screwdriver otherwise it would be painful. Yes they can be a pig but a big screwdriver with a bit of persistence giving it a tap all the way around and they will come off in the end without being mangled up. and yes I am serious if you can't manage that then you are retarded. Use a rag on the end of the flathead to avoid damaging paintwork if you want
  • Never had issues getting a crown race off and I've had a load of different fork/headset combos... always removed at home and I don't have a "puller".
  • BigAl
    fizik wrote:
    BigAl wrote:
    fizik wrote:

What?

Yes they can be a pig...........
    if you cant manage that then you are retarded

Seem to be contradicting yourself there

I'm well aware of how to remove a crown race with a screwdriver and hammer. I've done it before - though I now use a puller.
    But it hardly qualifies as the most basic workshop task
  • cooldad
    And a bit retarded to call someone a retard because you can do something they MAY not be able to do.

Can you imagine being considered a retard because a retard like Wayne Rooney can kick a ball properly?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • fizik
    Its common sense, yeah a puller may be better but other methods work just as well, Id rather that than use mismatched crown race and headset :roll: hitting a screwdriver with a hammer is such a skill isn't it :mrgreen:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    They don't if you don't do them right.
  • fizik
    BigAl wrote:
    fizik wrote:
    BigAl wrote:
    fizik wrote:

What?

I'm well aware of how to remove a crown race with a screwdriver and hammer. I've done it before - though I now use a puller.

Yes because hitting a screwdriver with a hammer in a controlled methodical fashion is definitely not a basic task :shock:
  • fizik
    edited January 2014
    Anyway for the OP, to avoid damage to the headset change the crown races over, its a 10 minute job max and will be worth it in the end. If you don't have a puller then follow these steps

1. Take a long flathead screwdriver, (preferably a wideish one)
    2. Take a hammer and tap the screwdriver between the crown of the fork and the race. (use a rag on the end to stop chipping the paint/enamel off the crown and try and angle the screwdriver away from the crown) (it also helps if you have a vice to put your steerer in)
    3. Keep working all the way around, give the flathead a bit of a wiggle up and down to pull the race free as you go
    4. Eventually you will get a gap, keep going til you can pull it off by hand
    5. To install the crownrace you should be able to push it on by hand more or less with a friendly tap where required.
    6. Dont hit it too hard and avoid damage to the crown, steerer or race

Hope that helps
  • BigAl
    fizik wrote:
    BigAl wrote:
    fizik wrote:
    BigAl wrote:
    fizik wrote:

What?

Yes because hitting a screwdriver with a hammer in a controlled methodical fashion is definitely not a basic task :shock:

Stop being a nob.

I could use the same arguement to argue that Michaelangelo's David was a basic task as all it involves is hitting a chisel with a hammer
  • fizik
    ............but we are only talking about removing a metal ring here not carving a work of art, hardly on the same scale, I wasn't suggesting he carved his crown into a statue!
  • Bloody hell... hammer?!
    Never had to use one to remove a crown race before!
  • fizik
    Bloody hell... hammer?!

Ay? I would be genuinely interested to know how like if you don't use a puller. I never have to hit the screwdriver hard mind.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    fizik wrote:
    Bloody hell... hammer?!

Ay? I would be genuinely interested to know how like if you don't use a puller. I never have to hit the screwdriver hard mind.

Depends if it's a split race - if it's not, hammer/puller is pretty normal. Also, it's all well and good smacking it off but if not a split race it's more of a pig to put on and ensure it's straight and on properly without a fitting tool (although obviously can be done with patience and care).
  • Cqc
    Thanks
  • Bloody hell... hammer?!
    Doesn't sound like you've ever seated a crown race properly then. I've had them where they've refused to come off even with a puller. If they come off after a few taps with a hammer then it was an easy job.

Had to get a blowtorch on one to get the seize to crack and even then we had to replace the blade jaws on the puller.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • mini_death wrote:
    Bloody hell... hammer?!
    Doesn't sound like you've ever seated a crown race properly then. I've had them where they've refused to come off even with a puller. If they come off after a few taps with a hammer then it was an easy job.

Had to get a blowtorch on one to get the seize to crack and even then we had to replace the blade jaws on the puller.
    Small flat head screwdriver and a bit of elbow grease and patience has always worked... I never said anything about fitting a race, however the ones i've removed vary from factory fitted to home fitted.
  • You're very lucky (or talented, who am I to judge). I've not always been this fortunate with the crown races I've been asked to remove.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.