Shimano wheel rebuild?

casefactor
casefactor Posts: 9
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I have a practically unused set of 7900 C35 clinchers which I got at a bargain. Unfortunately they are not 11sp compatible so I can only use on one of my bikes. I've looked for easy conversion options but there don't appear to be any that don't involve filing and risk of sending rear mech into spokes.

If I got a WH-9000 rear hub could I rebuild the wheel on that using the rim and same spokes? Then I could switch between 10 and 11 speed.

Any experienced wheel builders out there?

Comments

• mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    campag freehub, campag 11 speed cassette (spacing is identical) job done!
    Colnago Addict!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    In terms of hub rebuild, C35 uses a straight pull spoke so problems start right there. Latest model uses 21 spokes on the rear which is a really weird drilling too - almost certainly this won't work.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks mrdsgs. I hadn't heard that before. So I should be able to just switch btw shimano freehub with 10sp cassette and campag freehub with 11sp when swapping bikes?

have you done this? Anything I should watch out for?
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    In terms of hub rebuild, C35 uses a straight pull spoke so problems start right there. Latest model uses 21 spokes on the rear which is a really weird drilling too - almost certainly this won't work.

thanks Monty. That rules that out then.
  • It's anti-economical and probably not possible at all, as DA rear hubs only come down to 24 holes, no less. There is a dodgy way to lace a 28 H hub to a 21 H rim, if that's what you've got, but I would not do it on an expensive hub, as it might turn out to be a crap wheel...
    In essence, keep it as it is
    left the forum March 2023
  • casefactor wrote:
    Thanks mrdsgs. I hadn't heard that before. So I should be able to just switch btw shimano freehub with 10sp cassette and campag freehub with 11sp when swapping bikes?

have you done this? Anything I should watch out for?

Shimano don't do Campagnolo splined free hubs... :roll:
  • looks like this wheel is staying 10sp!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    there is a guy on weightweenies who machined the f/hub and hub (on a 7850 c24) and it now accepts 11sp or with spacers, 10sp, no issues.
    Worst case is you would wreck the f/hub and have to buy a new one to fix your wheel, the hub machining was very minor.
  • mamba80 wrote:
    there is a guy on weightweenies who machined the f/hub and hub (on a 7850 c24) and it now accepts 11sp or with spacers, 10sp, no issues.
    Worst case is you would wreck the f/hub and have to buy a new one to fix your wheel, the hub machining was very minor.
    The risk with that is having the chain running too close to the spokes maybe?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    casefactor wrote:
    I have a practically unused set of 7900 C35 clinchers which I got at a bargain. Unfortunately they are not 11sp compatible so I can only use on one of my bikes.?

Define bargain to me again someone.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    casefactor wrote:
    I have a practically unused set of 7900 C35 clinchers which I got at a bargain. Unfortunately they are not 11sp compatible so I can only use on one of my bikes.?

Define bargain to me again someone.

I see where your going with that alright. At the time I bought these I only had bikes with 10sp drivetrains. One main bike and a project build. The 11sp arrived later, after my main bike was damaged beyond repair by a driver who drove into me.
  • mamba80 wrote:

That's what I'm afraid of. I don't think I'm willing to risk it.
  • mamba80
    casefactor wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

That's what I'm afraid of. I don't think I'm willing to risk it.

Come on, do it! be a first in the uk :) he says "RD no where near spokes"

http://benmanson.com/review/7900_to_11/7900_to_11.htm
  • To be honest I would do it... why not...if it goes pear shaped, you can always re fit a spacer and be back to where it was before
  • Great to know I have so much support! I feel like the guy standing on the edge of the cliff with everyone encouraging him to jump. If I mangle my RD in the spokes will you all be here to support me and help me replace it?

I think I'll go ahead with the mods to the freehub and see how it all looks on the workstand. Will post updates whenever that happens.
  • mamba80
    We will offer moral support should that happen :lol:

I wonder if the whole wheel would fit in a lath and the hub machining could be done neatly?
  • i havn't tried it but wouldnt a 9000 freehub fit with less modifying?
    i.e. just milling a few spacers for example
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • Appreciate the moral support! Always helps when expensive components need replacing...

Any mods will be made on milling m/c or lathe in toolroom at work. Difficult to get the whole wheel into a common size lathe but same thing could be accomplished with the wheel lying horizontally on the table of a mill.

@shadow - 9000 freehub might work but I don't have one and a quick look on the interweb says it's £150!

Also entertaining the idea of taking an 11sp cassette, removing a cog and using the derailleur limit screw allowing it to be used 10sp with 11sp shifters. Any thoughts on that? (apart from limit screw adjustment being a pain in the b*lls when changing wheels)
  • mamba80
    I think the head of spesh (in USA) fitted a 10sp cassette to a 11sp wheel, chain, shifters and mechs and it all worked pretty well, he used a xt 10sp cassette as he wanted a 32t for a hilly event, there is even an article on it all, might worth googling it?
    its all on weightweenies (some where) as is why you cant use an 11sp free hub,(even if it fitted the 7900 hub) you would need to re dish the wheel and as said re jig the axle spacing, in that thread is how you remove a cog as well :)