BTwin Triban 5 2013 model £399 any good ?

yertez
yertez Posts: 80
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all, fancy trying some road biking after much fun with my hardtail MTB over-winter mud plugging.
But I don't want to spend a huge amount for a first road bike. Up to £400 ideally.

Decathlon have the 2013 BTwin Triban 5 still around for £399. Sora groupset, carbon front fork and saddle downstay (not sure of the correct term), Alu frame. Pretty light at about 9.5Kg.

Or would I be better playing a waiting game on eBay aiming to pick up a bike for similar money maybe with better wheels (Mavic) and groupset (105) ?

Or go for something like the Forme Longcliffe 2.0 from Rutland, for £500 new with Aksiums and 105 mechs ?

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    yes Triban 5 is a cracking deal and you'll struggle to do better for the money.

forme is also a good deal, but note the only 105 kit is the rear mech - its Microshift shifters etc
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Mates got one, loves it.
    Buy it ;)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • yertez
    Bought it. Went for my first road bike ride since about 1989. So harsh after my trusty Rockhopper. Brother in law has some really nice road bikes and liked the look of the Triban 5 2013 too. Anyway, cant believe how quick it is. Looking forwrd to some more rides. Only one tiny niggle in that the mudguards I had fitted for the winter, dont really have enough clearance for any grit on the wheels. But v happy bunny.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If the tyres are 25 you could gain some 'grit room' by changing to 23's.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • fsman
    fsman Posts: 112
    Keep an eye on the wheel bearings. I have a T3 red (which is similar to the current T5). Apparently decathlon have a history of not putting in enought grease into the wheel bearings or overtightening.
    So make a point to get them to re-grease with your free 6 month service.

or do it yourself..http://triban3owners.freeforums.net/thr ... b-bearings
  • Hello,

I recently purchased a Triban 3 (the red one with carbon fork) second hand for £225 as my first road bike. If this bike is anything to go by then I really don't think you'll get much better for the money, especially if you're buying brand new!

Chris
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I've got one as a winter bike and it's ok. The wheels are heavy and flex a bit but for 400 quid it's not bad. My chain snapped after about 5-600 miles, but apart from that, I can't praise it enough for the money. Granted my Bianchi is a much better bike, but it was way more expensive.
  • yertez
    Fixed the rubbing front mudguard by replacing the plastic spacer on the top with a much thinner piece of black duct tape over the elastic fastner. Loads of clearance now.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    my mate asked my opinion about these bikes so I had a look at them, I reckon the 5 is the best bet as the extra cash for tiagra isn't worth it because it has the same wheels and the 3 lacks the refinement of of the 5. Good bikes, I would have one if I was in the market for a winter trainer
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight