Cycling in Hull

alamb200
alamb200 Posts: 74
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
Hi,

For the last few years I have been biking from home to my office 3 times a week doing around 18 miles each way, but now my office is moving so I will be around 30 miles from work instead which is too much for me both in distance and time.

One option I have is to take the train from my home village to Hull and then bike to Priory park in Hessle which is only around 4 miles instead so I still get to get some exercise while actually getting home.

Does anyone know the Hull area and can so suggest the best route to Priory Park? I have seen at least three routes one being the A63 which I want to avoid because it is a very busy dual carriageway.

Time is going to be of the essence on my travels so I am looking for the shortest distance with the least number of traffic lights and other such holdups.

If you can help a massive thanks you from me.

Cheers,

Alamb200

Comments

• Hi there, if I were you I'd leave train station and head south to the a63/hedon road then go along that heading West. Leave the slip road before the fly over (it's from here onwards that it gets dangerous if you stay on the a63) and go straight at the roundabout to go down Hessle road (at this point you could go down Hessle road or turn left before the petrol station then right to go down the back road which will be slightly longer but there's no traffic lights and a lot less traffic).

If you go down Hessle road then after Asda you'll come to a mini roundabout, turn left then right at the large roundabout and go over the flyover. If you use the back road you'll come to a large roundabout, turn right then left at the next roundabout to go over the flyover.

After the flyover follow the road straight at the roundabout (at this point you are now heading through gypsyville along Hessle road (don't stop here if you want to keep your bike ;)) follow this road all the way past Hessle police station eventually coming to a large roundabout, turn left and you should pass sainsburys on your right then they'll be signposted turnoffs to priory Park West/East.

If your confused by any of this let me know I'll I'll draw a route out for you.
  • Hi,
    Thats brilliant thanks but if I could trouble you for a route if possible? Also how long do you think this route will take?
    Thanks again,
    alamb200
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I would've thought Anlaby Rd, Boothferry Road, Pickering Rd, through Pickering Park which brings you out opposite would be good.

I used to park on Pickering Road in the Boothferry park days....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • anlaby road has a lot of traffic/traffic lights and no bike paths to keep you out the way which is why i never suggested that way, however, i suppose you would be riding against rush hour traffic so it might be a good idea, 'ill get the routes marked out, bare with me.
  • Brilliant thanks for this. i now just have to choose which will be quicker probably just have to try them both on different days and see what happens.
    Is there anything I need to watch out for while biking in Hull?
  • potholes on anything but main roads and don't leave your bike unlocked, oh and the occasional prick that thinks he/she owns the road (i find wide elbows do the trick there)
  • Kieran_Burns
    alamb200 wrote:
    Brilliant thanks for this. i now just have to choose which will be quicker probably just have to try them both on different days and see what happens.
    Is there anything I need to watch out for while biking in Hull?

Yeah, don't say Humberside :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Yeah, don't say Humberside :wink:

So what does that mean for my degree from the University of Humberside? Does it not count any more? :wink:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Yeah, don't say Humberside :wink:

So what does that mean for my degree from the University of Humberside? Does it not count any more? :wink:

I went to North Staffs Polytechnic and we were the last year to get a Poly degree. We got a letter the next year asking if we wanted to change our Degree Certificates for a University one at the bargain price of £50.

Apparently there were several abusive replies :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X