Fizik Arione Vs Planet X Superlight saddle

jordan_217
jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
This PX saddle would appear to be impersonating a Fizik Arione:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SAPXSL/pla ... eam-saddle

I'm a Fizik Arione user and need to find a saddle for a TT bike, it seems good value at £30. Are there any Arione users that have also used the PX saddle? Did your backside/special place notice any difference?
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Comments

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    The PX saddle is a similar shape, but is much less rigid along the spine, is softer and has a sag.

It's actually made by Velo in Italy and they make it for a number of other brands too - eg the Giant TCR saddle

Personally I like the PX one, have it on my Winter bike and a TCR saddle on my Giant bike for the track, have an Arione on my Summer bike - I certainly notice the difference when I switch but both are comfortable (for me - YMMV [Y a*se MV !]).

I don't know about on a TT bike though - it might be a bit hard and padding-free on the nose ?
    - after all, Fizik make an Arione Tri with a softer nose. Many people in my club prefer the noseless saddles like the Adamo for TT'ing

Ultimately, you have to try - why not look out for one on eBay, you can regularly get them unused for £8-12 when someone buys a bike from PX and then puts their own saddle on it : the Giant TCR ones are slightly cheaper.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Thanks Andy, thats helpful.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I've had both and my backside could tell the difference. The PX kicks up at the back and is slightly wider. When I got a real Arione I could not feel it against the back of the thighs but I could feel the PX on every pedal stroke. In that respect the Arione is more comfortable. There are so many variations of the Arione I don't know if it's fair to say the PX is softer. There are certainly some Ariones that are harder. I always found I got aches in the upper glutes and lower back after 60 miles on the Arione. Shame because the longer nose is really good.