Consumer warning - the dangers of sheer mesh jerseys

pinkteapot
pinkteapot Posts: 367
edited January 2014 in Road general
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... BURNT.html

Chris Froome shows off the sunburn he's got through his brand new Team Sky sheer jersey.

Seriously... The designers didn't see this coming?

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Ouch!
  • Mental note - stop wearing fishnet on the bike.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    No pain, no (marginal) gain

/I'll get my coat :oops:
  • Ooh that does look sore, guess depends on your skin completion I tan very quickly and thus I would have to be monumentally careless to burn, in the uk at least!
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Ooh that does look sore, guess depends on your skin completion I tan very quickly and thus I would have to be monumentally careless to burn, in the uk at least!

Same here, I got my arms burned last summer. I was only planning on a short ride so didn't bother with sun protection but ended up staying out for 4 hours. The cooling effect of the wind really makes the damage unnoticeable. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed I looked like a lobster and the pain started. Bad enough on the arms, on the back it must be even worse.
  • Rapha - 'The design philosophy is "robust simplicity': streamlined, lightweight, durable and unfailingly fit for purpose.'

basically, cheap thin material that isn't even UV resistant sewn together with name applied and sold for extortionate prices. Like a lot of " high end brand name" cycle gear.
  • There's a reason kit comes with SPF ratings! if i wear one of mine which has a nowhere near as fine mesh panel in the back i get sunburn in the summer.
  • Rapha - 'The design philosophy is "robust simplicity': streamlined, lightweight, durable and unfailingly fit for purpose.'

basically, cheap thin material that isn't even UV resistant sewn together with name applied and sold for extortionate prices. Like a lot of " high end brand name" cycle gear.

Did you come up with all of that yourself? Well done! :roll:
  • I think Sky have missed a trick here. If they had a a logo on the back with high SPF Chris would now have Sky in white emblazoned on his red back :shock: :D
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    1620504_10201334610306986_648909049_n.jpg

Last time Froome asks Wiggo to put his sun cream on!

Via Maxgear Racing on facebook
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Surely that just indicates that Froome is a bit of a dick. Sunscreen would have negated the issue.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Cheers.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,577
    nothing to do with the mesh, the mesh covered bits aren't as badly burned as the exposed bits, given the state of his neck and forearms, clearly he's not thought about this at all

strong sun, unprotected pale skin, burn, duh, for the dailyfail reader it's probably a revelation, but froome should know better

yet another completely wrong dailyfail story, it should've read: foolish froome gets sunburn, skimpy sky mesh saves him from the worst
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

I think he pretty much nailed it and totally agree with it whether he made it up himself or not :wink:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    sungod wrote:
    nothing to do with the mesh, the mesh covered bits aren't as badly burned as the exposed bits, given the state of his neck and forearms, clearly he's not thought about this at all

strong sun, unprotected pale skin, burn, duh, for the dailyfail reader it's probably a revelation, but froome should know better

yet another completely wrong dailyfail story, it should've read: foolish froome gets sunburn, skimpy sky mesh saves him from the worst

agreed, his neck looks far worse than the meshy covered bits, and I doubt his legs or arms were covered at all,so he knows to use suncream on some parts, and they had them last year cant believe only he's just worked it out.

just reckon he hadnt clocked how powerful the sun was that day thats all and just hadnt taken precautions, after all if its a training ride, whats the need for marginal gain in that.

but I thought Id read they were going to be releasing the mesh top for people to buy, so maybe it will have to come with a warning attached (beyond the youll look like a right numpty in it)