worry is I usually ride a frame with a 530mm top tube this
Comes in at 537mm. I am 5' 7" with average reach/ leg length anyone else
Around my size got an ultimate? The xs(50) is 525mm but head tube really short
So to big for that. Any advice welcome ta

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Hi

I would suggest calling them. I came out in the middle of the sizing (56 - 58) and was going to order the 56 but after talking with them, the guy said he had the same measurements as me and suggested the 58 (L). You can also swap the stem if it arrives and things are not quite right. I've ordered the CF SL 9.0.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I reckon the small with possibly a slighly shorter stem but as above give them a call.
    I am xs according to the sizing and the effective top tube length is about 3mm shorter than my current bike.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Are there any other brands out there with similar frame shapes that you could use to gauge? I've no idea if any bike is similar to another but just a thought
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    As above, drop them a mail or ring. I found responded quick and very helpfull. I was sized as a 56 on the website but I was advised a 58 . I'm borderline sizes on most bikes, I just got a shorter stem .

Good luck
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • naffets wrote:
    Hi ,
    After some advice thinking of ordering one and have done the
    Online size checker which came out small (53) my only
    Comes in at 537mm. I am 5' 7" with average reach/ leg length anyone else
    Around my size got an ultimate? The xs(50) is 525mm but head tube really short
    So to big for that. Any advice welcome ta

I'm half an inch taller than you, and having ridden both the XS and the Small at the Canyon factory in Koblenz I would choose the XS and run a 120mm stem. The small with a shorter stem and seatpost set at correct height looked plain wrong

My other rides are Cannondale CAAD 9 & 10 both in size 52cm with 535mm top tube, 100mm stem, 15mm top cap, no spacers, and a Scott CR1 in 49cm with 520mm top tube and 120mm stem
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I'm 5ft 8 with a 31" leg I run a small frame with 110 cm stem fits like a dream . I followed the canyon online size checker and also rang them .
  • I'm just over 5'10" with a 33" inside leg and I have a medium. I feel I could have gotten away with a small if I put a 120mm stem on. So I'd say an xs would be the one to go for.
  • Flâneur
    in-rainbows, did you use their sizing guide? Only ask as the guide suggested large for me, yet i'm slightly smaller than you and would have gone for a medium from gut feeling.
    TYIA
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Yeah, I used their sizing tool and I came out a medium, even if I put in a shorter inside leg size. The saddles quite low and I already feel stretched out, though not uncomfortably so with a 100 mm stem.
  • Flâneur
    Cheers, definitely going to have to try find one to test out. Just under the 5'10 with a 31 inside leg.

Sorry for the hijack naffets
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • naffets
    naffets Posts: 72
    No probs cheers for all advice,think the xs woulda be the nearest
    To sizing my only worry would be needing quite few spacers to bring up the bars
  • Hi Naffet,

I'm 5'7" and have the CF SLX in SMALL size, it fits me just right if that helps!

I run a 90mm stem as it came standard but I'm quite sure I can stretch to a 100mm but for the time being its fine with me.

You can refer to my post re my bike & follow the image link, that'll give you an idea how my bike look with amount of seat post & spacers showing. (I have dropped a 10mm stem spacer since the images was taken)

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12921363

I know even-though we're the same height but our limbs length will definitely be different. I think you'll fit a small size just fine. But then, that's just my guess!

Hope you find your ride!

Cheers
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    I'm 5'9 and ride the ultimate AL and CF. I think I have the small in the CF and XS in the AL - either way the top tube is 535mm on both (give or take a mm or two). I run with 120mm stems and fit is perfect. I would go with the XS and probably run a 120mm stem. Maybe even 130mm depending on preferred position.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Amazed at the small sizes some people are running - I'm 5'9" and the Medium would fit me perfectly with a 110mm stem (although I'd need to slam it, which isn't a bad thing).

I reckon Canyon's online sizing guide is pretty good if you have no idea about your fit/geometry and you take the measurements properly.
  • neeb
    naffets wrote:
    Online size checker which came out small (53) my only
    Comes in at 537mm.
    What's the seat tube angle on your current frame with the 530mm top tube? The Canyons all seem to have 73.5mm STA across the size ranges, so if your current frame was 74mm (not unlikely in a smaller size) then the reach would be the same within about 2mm.
  • edten
    neeb wrote:
    Amazed at the small sizes some people are running - I'm 5'9" and the Medium would fit me perfectly with a 110mm stem (although I'd need to slam it, which isn't a bad thing).

I reckon Canyon's online sizing guide is pretty good if you have no idea about your fit/geometry and you take the measurements properly.

Correct sizing is not just driven by overall rider height and what is right for you (same height) is not right for me. I'm 5'9 and a medium is too long for me and I don't have a short torso or particularly long legs. As Canyons have a high front end even with the headset slam kit, dropping size should allow more saddle to bar drop if preferred. Also we are talking approx. 1cm between frames which can easily be accommodated with a longer stem. Much better to go with a longer stem than have to run 80-90mm stems (which Canyon seems to use as default stem size). Also seat tube angle impacts sizing due to the impact on saddle pos over BB. Small frames also seem more responsive with technical stuff. You will also have greater flexibility on tweaking the position which is certainly relevant if you're ordering online.

To the OP the canyon sizing guide always suggests a frame size too large for me. I'm 5'9 and go with the Small in the AL and CF though with different stem lengths due to the seat tube angles in order to get the same reach across both bikes. I'm not saying get the same size as me but just be cautious of the sizing guide. A chat to a bike fitter if you know one should help.
  • neeb
    Certainly agree that height and frame size don't have a particularly close relationship, it's just when I see someone of the same height with a frame two sizes smaller that I start to wonder. But now I look, the AL has different geometry from the CF, so there is really only one size difference in the same frame.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Newer riders or those coming from MTB tend to be less flexible, prefer a shorter reach, and a more upright position and often go for a smaller frame than would be ideal. Then after a year or so they get a bigger bike. I know a few people who have done just this.
  • edten
    Seems an odd way to do it. Why wouldn't they put a longer stem on once they're more flexible, at least if it's greater reach they want and/or slam the stem? With greater flexibility I'd be surprised someone would need anything more than +10-20mm in stem length which is as much or greater than the next size up. Also a smaller frame is just as likely to provide an aggressive position if that's what is wanted, if not more so than a larger frame.