Fulcrum Racing 5 or Campagnolo Scirocco 35

caedev
caedev Posts: 81
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to buy a new set of wheels to replace the stock ones on my 2011 Allez and I've narrowed the choices down to the 2014 Fulcrum Racing 5s or the Campagnolo Scirocco 35. Both seem to have very good reviews, the fulcrum are a bit lighter, the sciroccos have the deep rim and I'm after anything which could help sway the decision!

Is there anything else worth considering under 200?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    I can certainly recommend the Fulcrums. I fitted these to my Allez and they ride so much better than the stock CXP22 rims. Lighter, better/smoother hubs and noticeably stiffer. Still absolutely true after a couple of thousand miles.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    This was asked on Monday:
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12955917
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • That would be my thread! I did waffle on but was after specific information. What I gleaned from answers to my query, reviews elsewhere, plus a gander at the 2013 wheels I had (returned for cosmetic flaw, nothing wrong structurally):

Fulcrum Racing 5: Very niiiccceee, simply! Lighter than other wheels in the same price bracket (excepting the Campag Vento, being the same wheel, only cheaper). Strong, durable, smooth rolling. Most reviews are obviously going to be for older models, but those I've read for the 2014 models are still favourable, giving the same general impressions. The Campagnolo appears to be and is generally agreed to be the same range at a slightly lower price, having said that, the Fulcrum white hubs do add a dash of panache! The 2014 models have reduced the spoke count, but have a deeper rear rim and higher drive side flange to maintain stiffness. The only thing I'm not keen on generally about any of the newer wheels is they all seem to have alloy axles; I'd have thought strength here would trump saving a very few grams, but time will tell.

Camapagnolo Scirrocco 35: I'd guess these are actually about the same level as the above wheel, the extra expense coming from The cost of the deeper rims, which do add a bit of weight (though actually only slightly heavier than the 2013 Fulcrum 5 model). Consensus is this means a little slower acceleration but still good once rolling along. The deeper rims also add a little more rigidity, which can translate into feeling the bumps a bit more. If you're a heavy rider that might be an advantage and make a more stable ride, if a lightweight like me maybe not so crucial. Still, these seem to be popular for a strong commuting and all-rounder wheel, and heavier riders not really noticing any side-wind effect of the deeper rims except in very windy conditions.

Directly comparing my old mid-noughties Vento to the 2013 Fulcrum 5, the new straightpull spoke design used on all the newer Fulcrum/Campag range seems to make a substantial stronger looking arrangement at the hub flanges. If you're considering the Vento G3 at all, this is definitely a GOOD thing! My older style G3 front hub snapped at the flange, on the side that had just one spoke on the G3 arrangement. Fulcrum and Campag wheels are basically the same, so if you go for the Vento version to save a few squid, I'd steer away from the G3 front wheel option, even with the redisgned hubs, and get one with the radial front wheel. This is why: http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co.uk/2007/11/equipment-g3-or-not-to-g3.html With regard to his comments on front wheel stability I had exactly the same issues.

In the end though, I did opt for the Zonda's, which I hadn't even considered, ouch, my pocket hurts! I blame....Bikeradar!

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Fulcrum and Campag wheels are basically the same, so if you go for the Vento version to save a few squid, I'd steer away from the G3 front wheel option, even with the redisgned hubs, and get one with the radial front wheel. This is why: http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co.uk/2007/11/equipment-g3-or-not-to-g3.html With regard to his comments on front wheel stability I had exactly the same issues.

For what it is worth, I have G3 front Khamsins and a pair of Ventos and they are fine - but I am very light. So, if you find a good deal on such wheels and you aren't heavy, then it's probably worth going for it.

I do find it bizarre in the current range you can get Ventos and Khamsins either traditionally or G3 laced - and you actually pay a premium for the latter!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bigflangesmallsprocket
    bigflangesmallsprocket Posts: 2,443
    edited January 2014
    so am I Rolf, 8 stone wet through!

Though having said that, I'm referring to my experience my own Vento's, a fairly old version: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/review-campagnolo-vento-g3-10838/. The spokes on these are fairly slim, what you might expect on a traditionally built lightweight wheel, whereas the spokes on the Fulcrum I had in my hands, despite being bladed seemed surprisingly substantial compared to what I expected, plus it's possible the front rim has also had a redesign since then (though they looked outwardly similar). And I admit, a large part of my riding is done on Suffolk country lanes, not renowned for being well maintained..

About the relative costs, I don't get that either, possibly down to an expectation of higher sales from the conventional pattern, hence maybe lower costs per unit? Or maybe they just think the higher price will convince the punter that it's a better wheel?

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    On second thoughts I'm heavy! 9.5! :lol:

Actually, I suspect those are the same as my Ventos. I got them about 3 years ago - they are a younger model but the design looks the same. They have a big flange to enable the G3s to run parallel. With the Khamsins they don't bother so the front wheel of those looks more like a normal wheel with a number of spokes missing! I can't really tell the Khamsins apart from the Ventos though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Till I read the blog on that link, I did consider it may have been due to my relatively shorter reach, not putting much weight over the bars to plant the wheel, so that may also be part of it, it can be hard to be objective about 'feel'.

I think we're hijacking caedexs thread :oops:

• caedev
    Thanks for all the advice, especially bigflangesmallsprocket, it's been really useful. Taking all into consideration I've bought a pair of 2014 Fulcrum Racing 5s from ribble. With their January sale I got them for £158 so really pleased. Can't wait for them to arrive now!
  • Appreciated Caedev :D . As you probably gathered from my thread, I can be a bit OCD where choosing bike equipment is concerned, but my budget is fairly limited so I like to get the most bang for my buck.

• caedev
    Just to follow up on this, I managed to get out for a decent ride on my new Racing 5's at the weekend and can confirm they are worth every penny as an upgrade to stock wheels which came with my Allez.

Noticeably quicker/easier to get them up to speed and they feel solid as a rock. Downhill they absolutely fly and the freehub sounds awesome.

Thanks for the advice - best upgrade I've made to my bike!
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    Bit late to the party. I have purchased a pair of 5's and used them once so far. Very impressed! I was using C24's before so had low expectations but the 5's are a better wheel than the price suggests IMO.