2014 Defy Advanced 2 or 2013 Roubaix Comp

navt
navt Posts: 374
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Oh, I can't decide. Test rode the 2014 Defy Advanced 2 for a week (thanks Giant!). Very nice looking bike. Dressed in Shimano 105 and half-decent in-house wheel set. Aero seat post to boot. But it didn't feel as fast as my current 2009 Roubaix Elite. Maybe my prejudice. Maybe I'm just too confident in my bike. It just wasn't quick off the line.

So I arranged to test ride a 2013 Roubaix Comp (priced down to £2K from £2.5K). Dressed in Ultegra (6700 I think) with typical Spesh wheel set (I've got a pair of Fulcrum Racing 5s which I can throw on). It is red. And it is loud. But I only had it for 30 minutes and it had flat nylon pedals with clips. But it did feel fast.

So do I replace my Roubaix with a Roubaix? Or should I go with last year's CP's BOTY? And feedback on either appreciated.

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Sounds like you are just looking for a change, from what i've read most riders find the Roubaix a bit slow ?
    What do you want to achieve with a new bike, race winning speed, long distance comfort, tough commuting, pleasure rides in the country ?
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • navt
    Generally 18 mile commute round-trip in Central London. 50 mile sunday rides and a few sportives childcare permitting. I guess comfort over speed and they were both comfortable bikes. Both represent a change over my 2009 bike. Thanks!
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    I`ve just had the same dilemma, the Giant gets excellent write ups, but when I enquired about availability (New) they had no idea when ?, and it didn`t sound like anytime soon either.
    I`ve had a Roubaix Pro before a 2008 model and went to my local Spesh concept store for a demo, and took out the 2014 comp version, the new SL4 frame is fantastic, still forgiving but stiff where you need it.
    The different sized frames are have different sized diameter tubes and headsets so they all have the same handling regardless of size.
    I was slightly wary of the bright red, but I also didn`t want boring black, its on every bike now and not very safe in dull light. The red has really grown on me and I love it now.
    This years Comp is £2200 and comes with Fulcrum s5 and the new 11 speed Ultegra, as a bartering tool I got them to replace the Axis 2 brakes with the new Ultegras to match the Groupset and got a free full Body fit thrown in.
    If you do fancy a new Roubaix I think this years model is better value for money.
    I fancied a change as well, but realised that the new Roubaix is a different bike from previous and read a couple of reviews comparing it closely with the Tarmac`s stiffness but with the extra comfort.
    Roubaix`s are a love them or hate them type bike.
    Sometimes what wheelsets fitted alter the initial feeling of how fast a bike feels, it may pay you to test them back to back with the same wheelset and this would equal that out and you could compare the comfort of the frame at the same time.
    Whatever you chose will be a good ride.
    But I`am in the Spesh camp!
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • navt
    You raise some very valid points which I hadn't considered before. I might pop into the Concept store here in London and have a look at the 2014 Comp. Thanks!
  • navt
    Just an update. Collected my Defy Advance 2 yesterday. No complaints so far.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    So why did you decide to go with the Defy Adv. 2 in the end?