torn for choice

paulwood
paulwood Posts: 231
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
It's time for a new road bike. My 10 year old Cannondale CAAD has served me well but enough things are worn out / broken to make a new bike a reasonable idea.

I ride for fun, club rides, a few sportives and a trip to the big mountains most years. No plans to race. Getting on in years but still quite flexible so riding position is not an issue. About 5000 miles a year.

Budget is £2000 to 3000 or so

My heart says go classic steel, I would love a Condor built for me. The Accacio with Ultegra and nice wheels would come in at mid budget I have a Condor single speed and love it to bits.

Head says don't be silly. LBS have Cannondale Synapse with a good spec. Perfect bike for what I want. I like the idea of buying local. (but heart says it's a Cannondale, how many of them are there out there)

So, what to do. I'm thinking Condor at the moment but will I regret that 800 grammes extra half way up the Galibier on next years Marmotte? Please tell me if I am being stupid and suggest alternatives

Thanks
Paul

Comments

• With that budget and your type of cycling why not consider titanium.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Sounds like you know your own mind so don't deviate - end of!

The Condor is a great bike and you can personalise the paint scheme. Go with your heart or you will always think what if. It sounds like you keep your bikes so think of it as an investment. Its so refreshing to have someone post who seems to know what they want :lol: Good luck - oh only thing I would say is go Force or Athena on that frame.
  • paulwood
    Force or Athena? The Dark Side. Hadn't even thought about that....till now.

As for Ti. Like the idea but that would mean wanting to keep the bike for ever instead of just a long time. new stuff is nice once in a while
  • As mainstream as they are, the 'Dale would be a very good choice and hard to beat.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    With your experience you should definitely build your own bike up (or get someone to do it) and not buy one off the shelf. Dont forget to save some money for a nice set of wheels.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Just to through in a curve ball I am still considering a Tommasini Tecno for my 40th built up with Athena from Comtat London. £2500-£3k would get you a one off steel classic with custom paint......
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I'd go for custom built stainless steel frame if I had that kind of money.

Reynolds 953 or Columbus XCr

Something like this:

Firefly-bicycle-Full-Build-Blog-6.jpg
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I have a Ti Enigma and Cannondale CAAD10 - I see more Enigmas on my local roads then I see Cannondales, probably Boardmans too. Some bikes aren't as exclusive as you think and the Ti club is growing rapidly.

Personally, as above - I'd start looking at custom steel, finished with your preferred spec and colors. It will feel special every time you ride it.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    paulwood wrote:

So, what to do. I'm thinking Condor at the moment but will I regret that 800 grammes extra half way up the Galibier on next years Marmotte? Please tell me if I am being stupid and suggest alternatives

Of course you won't regret it.

You will regret buying a bike by making rational choices over emotional ones (unless you are racing at a high level).

The condor is a beautiful machine (big condor fan here - use a fratello as my mile eater). As you know, condor are also a joy to deal with. They look after you so well.

Go with that, or as others have suggested, custom steel (but be comfortable and relaxed with the lead time thing).

Bikes are for riding and enjoying, not fretting whether the extra grammes make enough difference to justify the next 'upgrade'.

Go for it!
  • alistaird
    alistaird Posts: 290
    marcusjb wrote:
    Of course you won't regret it.

You will regret buying a bike by making rational choices over emotional ones (unless you are racing at a high level).

The condor is a beautiful machine (big condor fan here - use a fratello as my mile eater). As you know, condor are also a joy to deal with. They look after you so well.

Go with that, or as others have suggested, custom steel (but be comfortable and relaxed with the lead time thing).

Bikes are for riding and enjoying, not fretting whether the extra grammes make enough difference to justify the next 'upgrade'.

Go for it!

Exactly what he said !!!

Go for what will make you want to ride more.

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • paulwood
    Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone. The Cannondale is the perfect bike for my needs.

But I'm going to go see Condor and order something. Riding with a smile is important.

As for custom colours, another minefield. Some combination of black and white is favourite at the moment.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    My only other advice is to take a day off work to go and visit condor. They are very busy at the weekends and may not be able to give you as much attention as you need.

I went on a weekday and spent good time with them on the jig to get the fit etc.

I bought frame only, but they spent time with me and looked after me very well.