energy bars or cereal bars

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
edited January 2014 in Road general
just a quick one here lads......are the cheap cereal bars that you can get in the shops as good as the expensive energy bars you get in the lbs.

seems to me there made of the same type of ingredients so why wouldn't they be?

opinions!!! :wink:
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pretty much I would say but don't let that stop you finding some nice energy bars for special occasions and treats ;-)

Gels come in nice flavours too and are very convenient.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Supermarket bars are a lot cheaper, and some are just as good. Fruseli bars -my favourites - do the trick (high carbs low fat) .They're often on special offer. Also Nutrigrain work when you need a boost.
  • Well, I have been doing a test. Bought a range of a dozen or so different makes.
    Seems to me they are all much of a muchness.
    They are all about 50% carbs.

Much better to make your own. No preservatives etc.

I do this. As long as you keep the same weights you can use any roasted mixed nuts or any dried fruit.

20d623548c285eca2b16d1a4f06f60aa.jpg
  • Try the Cadbury Brunch bar in Choc Chip.
    No scientific evidence, just taste nice and work for me.
    Dave.
  • Of the "proper" energy type bar things I've tried, I find Clif bars the nicest.
    Still prefer a nutrigrain though if I'm honest, I just find them less..... hard work to eat.

The worst? probably the powerbar things I got free with my Cyclist mag subs last year, just terrible, they melt in your pocket! Poorly thought out.

ETA... Mini bags of Haribo and a banana are still best by far though. 2 bags of Haribo and a banana will sort me out nicely for a ride around 130k.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Been making my own for years. Costs about 10p each.

Syrup + brown sugar + porridge oats + butter + mixed fruit + any other tasty things you can find.

don't waste time measuring it out, just melt a dollop of butter with a wedge of sugar and a slurp of syrup (equal amounts of all) add chopped fruit and keep adding and mixing porridge oats until its like post-crete (thick concrete) - spread in to a baking tin and bake for 20 mins until brown. Allow to cool and chop and wrap.

You can also add crushed biscuit too, chocolate, jam etc..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Gels are rubbish for every day cycling. They're just for racing - and if you litter you should be shot.

I'm quite partial to gingerbread men and flapjack when I do my ironman races. A bento box helps carry it all.

Normal cycling - energy drink and any old snack bar seems to work.

The original powerbars were the worst - hard as anything.
  • Make your own cheaper, better tasting and as my wife cooks them for me no hassle!
  • Whist out for a ride I normally take a McVities Medley bar, or the Cadburys Brunch bars as mentioned on here.

When I get back from a long ride, nothing beats peanut butter and jam on bread/toast.

I have used SIS gels previously (when training for London Marathon) and i've found them to be good (perhaps more of a mental boost than a physiological one)
    2013 Bianchi Vertigo Carbon with Campagnolo Zondas
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.
    ~ Albert Einstein
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Bananas.
  • diy wrote:
    Been making my own for years. Costs about 10p each.

Syrup + brown sugar + porridge oats + butter + mixed fruit + any other tasty things you can find.

don't waste time measuring it out, just melt a dollop of butter with a wedge of sugar and a slurp of syrup (equal amounts of all) add chopped fruit and keep adding and mixing porridge oats until its like post-crete (thick concrete) - spread in to a baking tin and bake for 20 mins until brown. Allow to cool and chop and wrap.

You can also add crushed biscuit too, chocolate, jam etc..
    that actually sounds like the bizz......what happens if your an awful cook :lol::lol::lol:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    The problem with cereal bars is that they tend to stick in your throat, especially when its hot. Otherwise they do the job.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Clif bars every time for me...especially the peanut ones.

Delicious and filling
  • I find homemade flapjack or a Clif bar is a nice post ride treat. On the bike, for longer rides I like the convenience of the small SiS bars, banana flavour is quite tasty. Fit nicely into a jersey pocket and just the right size. For shorter, less intense rides, just a cadbury chocolate cereal bar as an "emergency" does the job. As mentioned above though, they have a tendency to melt.
  • borisface wrote:
    The problem with cereal bars is that they tend to stick in your throat, especially when its hot. Otherwise they do the job.

Thats the least of your worries with the amount of sugar they contain.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Flapjacks for me. As much as I like the coated ones, they're not for cycling, too melty.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I put jelly babies in the bottom of my frame bag for later on in the ride and a layer of fig rolls on top for at the start. Occasionally take any old cereal bar out with me too - any brand will do - and this applies even on 200+ mile rides.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    http://powerhungry.com/2008/06/homemade ... s-no-bake/

Home made Cliff Bars. Very tasty. Family decimated the first batch before I could ride with it! A great recipe!

Other stuff doe me CNP or Mule Bar.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I use fruseli bars as well. Just buy loads when they are on special offer.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    im all for making your own, i have taken banana bread or banana flapjack out with me, the recipe mentioned earlier sounds pretty good to me. only problem i have with making them is how long it will keep. in the week i don't tend to need much to eat so in the main would only use at the weekend.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    cougie wrote:
    Gels are rubbish for every day cycling. They're just for racing - and if you litter you should be shot.

I'm quite partial to gingerbread men and flapjack when I do my ironman races. A bento box helps carry it all.

Gels are fine for everyday cycling. And who the the hell throws them on the ground instead of putting them in pockets? Even on TT's I tuck them in my skinsuit behind my arm.

Powerbars are just awesome. Still my favorite bar. Easy to open and you can stick half to your top tube instead of putting it back in your pocket.

Torq - taste nice but too crumbly
    SIS - nice but impossible packaging to open on the go
    Clif - best tasting but too dry so a no-go in hot weather
    Mule - fine but nothing special
    High 5 - bland and dry but still gets the job done
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Gels are fine for everyday cycling. And who the the hell throws them on the ground instead of putting them in pockets? Even on TT's I tuck them in my skinsuit behind my arm.

Powerbars are just awesome. Still my favorite bar. Easy to open and you can stick half to your top tube instead of putting it back in your pocket.

Torq - taste nice but too crumbly
    SIS - nice but impossible packaging to open on the go
    Clif - best tasting but too dry so a no-go in hot weather
    Mule - fine but nothing special
    High 5 - bland and dry but still gets the job done

Gel wrappers are found all over the roads of Surrey after a sportive. Try riding Box Hill early on a Monday morning, after the "Surrey Rumble Mega Challenge 50mile Leg Drainer" has been on, where gels are guzzled by the masses (this prior to the obligatory cake stop at the top) And again, each to their own with gels, personally only use them as a kick for the last one hour of a ride, if I feel I need it. Ideal for intense sessions.

Zipvit bars are another fave, nice and moist, if a tad expensive though.
  • I really only use gels if out on a long ride and have a tough climb ahead.always carry one in case of emergency but usually dont have too.nice to have it tho.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida