New PS4/Xbox One

rc856
rc856 Posts: 1,144
edited February 2014 in The cake stop
Hi folks,

I was wondering if any of you have either of the new consoles?
I've got a perfectly working 360 and have FIFA to play with nephews and then I'll get COD etc and anything that looks good as they come along. I never have an load of games at any one time.

I do like new tech and was looking at a PS4. Wife has had her bonus and I could get one a my treat :D but is it worth
it at the moment?
Should I be waiting a while until more games come out/fulfil the console's potential etc.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    My kids have one and I can't tell the difference.
    I am sure you can really but I am sure they mentioned they can't play older games on this new box ?
    Living MY dream.
  • We have an Xbox One, but as we did not have a previous gen console I couldn't really compare.
    However from what I have heard, if you have a previous gen console, it is probably worth sticking with it for another year until the second wave of games come out on the new consoles. The developers have not had access to the new consoles long enough to really start taking advantage of the increased graphics/processing power.
    We bought it as we had promised the kids a new console for christmas and they were asking for a 360, but we thought that we may as well get the newer console rather than old tech.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Think with consoles it can take a while for developers to get to grips with the hardware and realise what it is capable of. I haven't owned one personally for a few generations but I remember my brother and some friends commenting on how much better games were later in the life of the PS2 as softwares houses had learnt to really squeeze every bit of performance out of the hardware toward the end of it's life. Don't know if that's still the case.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Surprisingly, son hasn't been fretting for an xbox one, which suggests to me that the word on the street is that they ain't worth it
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Surprisingly, son hasn't been fretting for an xbox one, which suggests to me that the word on the street is that they ain't worth it

Made me chuckle, "word on the street" :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    VTech wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Made me chuckle, "word on the street" :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Mikey's down with the kids :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rc856
    Cheers guys
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Got a PS4 and used an Xbox One, at this moment in time, they're pointless buys if you own a PS3/360, there's VERY little in game wise at the moment that makes them so exclusively worth while, I don't think it'll be until middle of the year/end when developers have produced some games that really demand the power that PS4/One have over the previous generations!

So for now... Buy some new wheels or a saddle.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    VTech wrote:
    My kids have one and I can't tell the difference.?
    That will be down to the curse of cross-platform games. The big titles like FIFA and COD have been developed with the last gen in mind and simply given a quick polish before being chucked at PS4 and Xbone.

Later titles will be rid of that legacy and will start to look much better.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    Xbox one owner here. First time since I was a kid I could actually get a new console on launch day so I thought why not!

To be honest I mainly play Battlefield 4 (mainly played Battlefield 3 on the 360) and the step up is amazing - 24 player max on the 360 to 64 on the xbox one and the graphics are also stunning. I got Fifa with the console and am not that impressed with it.

Overall though they probably aren't worth the upgrade at the moment, unless you are a big battlefield fan (also heard Forza is good). A lot of the apps e.g. Sky and blinkbox haven't been brought over to xbox live for X1 yet so if you currently use them that's another reason to hang on.
  • First game I actually sat through and played from beginning to end was the Mass Effect series on the xbox360.

That was awesome. Good grown-up, visually stunning set of games.

So if they are going to bring out Mass Effect on these new consoles I would get one just for that.
  • rc856
    What I also meant to ask was if the console internals will change/improve over time?
    I seem to remember getting a new 360 and being told to look out for ones with a certain chip??

So, game potential aside, do I also wait for a later console?

Thanks