shimano 105 5700 calipers compatibility

rattyc5
rattyc5 Posts: 84
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I am looking at getting some 105 5700 calipers for my wifes bike and mine. my wife has sora levers and I have tiagra levers. will the calipers be ok with the levers? we were told by lbs that braking would be better than our cheapo calipers. they were suggesting we buy them off net so they were not after a sale. problem is that I have read that they are not compatible. can anybody give us any info? thanks in advance.

Comments

• Shimano marketing bollocks.

I put a set of SRAM calipers on my 105 and they work perfectly.

This "must use with 105 or higher" is marketing crap.

Oh and I went with SRAM because they were better and a tad lighter than the 105 callipers.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    According to Shimano docs, all the latest series brake/shift levers are specified as "new super SLR" for brake caliper compatibility. In other words, 4600 Tiagra (10 speed) and 3500 Sora (with paddle not thumb button) shift/brake levers are fully compatible with 5700 105 calipers. Older series shifter are "super SLR" and not fully compatible with 5700 calipers. The difference is "New Super SLR Design relocates the brake lever pivot for better mechanical advantage. Synchronized with the new brake arch pivot a greater level of modulation and power are available from the tops of the brake hoods, where most people ride a majority of the time".

See specifications at http://si.shimano.com