Liege-Bastogne-Liege

Sorry if I've missed a thread- anyone else in for Liege this year? Counting down the weeks...and slowly upping the mileage!

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yup foolishly signed up for the full distance and now worrying that 1) I've never ridden that far in one go. 2) the weather has been so shite recently that getting in any decent training rides has been difficult. 3) i'm currently injured. 4) my last 100+ mile ride was in July. :shock:

and since then i've gain 10lbs or so :?

other than that its going swimmingly :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Signed on for full distance

I've been going out in all weathers on my heavy winter bike, signing up for something so demanding so early in the year really has forced me off the sofa

Doubt i'll be breaking any records on the day, unless it's fastest man to pass out after 1 pint of belgium beer after the ride
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Also signed up to the full ride. I need to get more practice going up hills and hopefully lose a few kgs.

I've been able to get out on the bike quite a lot thankfully and there's a group of us going, hopefully that will be enough to get me all the way around.
  • I'm told it's all about riding steady til 155Km, then the hard work (hills) really begin
  • Ankles50 wrote:
    I'm told it's all about riding steady til 155Km, then the hard work (hills) really begin

A couple of us did it last year and this is pretty much spot on. A few of them thought they were taking the easy option with the smaller route only to find out it joins up again around the 155km mark. Stuck a little hill guide on my top tube which was great for such a long event. Enjoy!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Yep I'm foolishly in for this too.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'm in for this. The medium route - being ready for the full beast in April would be ambitious for me.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    I've just signed up! Will have to get it past the wife!! Looks a belter.
  • Hi,

I have just signed up for the long route as we'll. Have not got as much training done so far as the weather is horrible but looking forward to it.

If any one has done it before and got any tips I would be great full.

Thanks
  • Did it in 2010, the 250 took me 9:10. Just conserve yourself and don't blow your gakset too early. Unlike a lot of UK sportives with undulating routes broken up with 'set-piece' climbs this is hard the whole way, esp from 50% to 80% of the route. As i recall the last 30 kms is gradually descending back into Liege or Tilff depending on the route you take.

The feeds are plentiful as it's a real sportive and not racey like an etape or Marmotte. It's much more of a community event like Flanders or Roubaix. There are some groups but it was mainly groups of friends or clubmates riding together, not going hell-bent-for-leather which people in this country think is the only approach to a ride. Or like any Sports Communication event, all their event feature some very scary-fast people.

I'll post my garmin link once I can find it and talk you through it more.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Cool that will be use full. I am planning on taking it steady and enjoying the ride there is two of us going so will ride together.
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    Ankles50 wrote:
    I'm told it's all about riding steady til 155Km, then the hard work (hills) really begin

You really need to get to the turn at Bastogne (100km) feeling like you've not yet started :lol:

Here's a profile. The bit between Bastogne and the start of the big climbs is actually quite leg-sapping with a lot of small climbs. For me the worst bit is when the other routes rejoin the long course and you're surrounded by fresher legs and being left for dead by them. Once you hit the Redoute, everyone's legs hurt so it's less obvious.

http://app.strava.com/activities/9462028
  • freebs
    FransJaques I'm keen to know what i've let myself in for too! Any guidance would be appreciated.
  • Hey,

is there anyone from the Charleroi area going to the event?

Emanuele
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Can't make the event but am going there later on in the year with my bike. Can you ride the route anytime or does it use motorways ?
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    I did this a couple of years back - it's brutal, but I'd love to do it again. take as much gear as possible in the car, and clothes for every weather.
  • itboffin
    my training was going well then my slipped C6 disc took a turn for the worse, now i'm on treble the dosage of various drugs and struggling to even sit on the sofa.

that wasnt part of the plan :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daveski12
    Did a flat 175 miler the other week so know I have the distance, now I just need to get up some hills.
  • Good luck to all doing this. Sadly, this clashes with a stag do that I had previously booked fights & accommodation for so I can't go with the group of mates who are doing the longer version. Perhaps a blessing in disguise though!
  • itboffin
    My longest ride so far has been 77 miles and i was spent, so i'm pretty certain the full distance is out, does anyone know if its easy to switch routes at the event on the day?

At the Amstel Gold the route started together and split twice for the three distances i'm hoping this will be the same :?
  • OMG! I,ve signed up for the full route.

Itboffin, from reading various blogs I think you are able to split off the full route and do the middle one maybe.

Anyone know of any campsites that are close to the start that I can park up the campevan in?
  • Uhm, seems the camper van option isn't easy so I'm booked in to the Mercure. Any other bods staying there?
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Prob going to stay in aachen the night before and drive home after 4hrs.

Doing the full route but doing RVV and PR to ride myself into form :)

Out of the 3 this one puts the sh@ts up me the must
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • daveski12
    Only a few weeks to go.

How's everyone feeling?
  • Actually, I can't wait.

That isn't bravado or confidence by the way, I just want to get out there and get on with it.

God, I hope the weather is not awful.
  • itboffin
    9 months of barely riding and binge eating and then 3 weeks of panic commuting only training and starvation has to be a winning plan for the 300 ...no!

I hope so :oops:
  • Cheating sod, you've copied my training plan ;)
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Found it - almost 4000 meters of climbing: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48241156

Try to do the full one, you'll enjoy it and remember it for a long time.

The feed stops are full on buffets so don't bring too much with you. If you like waffles you'll love it.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • daveski12
    I always eat too much on foot stops and get horrible belly ache for the miles after.

Have to resist the food as much as I can on this, I do love waffles though
  • freebs
    I couldn't have put many more miles in without giving up my job/getting divorced (in fairness both fairly attractive options :D !!). I'm on the long route. I've done 2000miles this year with a couple of centuries and one still to come.

Can't wait for the day but am nervous regarding the last 90km, that's uncharted territory for me with the climbs.

I'm driving over on the Friday and staying in Chaudfontaine. Sadly having to return on the Sunday rather than watch the pro race.

Bad weather will make it interesting! Good luck all.

Freebs.