Mike Cotty rode 420 miles/52K feet of climbing in 33 hours

hobbot
hobbot Posts: 37
edited January 2014 in Road general
Sponsored/supported by Mavic, Mike Cotty rode from Evian-les-Bains and Nice in 33 hours. That included 17 mountain passes (almost double Everest vertically). He only stopped for slightly more than one hour. The bike was Cannondale Evo.

Ride Stats:

Distance: 677.1km
Elevation: 16,066 meters
Moving time: 32 hours 24 minutes
Overall time: 33 hours 39 minutes

It's too bad new like that are not really wide spread here in the US, so we collected information from multiple media sources and made a compilation on the team website.

Glandon.jpg
Alpes_CCU.jpg

Comments

• Mike is a BR forum user :-)
  • His username on here is: ugo.santalucia
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • And he climbed using deep section aero wheels. ;)
  • SOME GOING.....big big well done mike.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida

More or less, 40 mm... the C 40 rims are awesome... not a big fan of the screw on nipples, but overall they are excellent "sportive" wheels for those with big wallets

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... u-buy-them
    left the forum March 2023
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Much respect... fantastic achievement.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

More or less, 40 mm... the C 40 rims are awesome... not a big fan of the screw on nipples, but overall they are excellent "sportive" wheels for those with big wallets

nice.

But am I mistaken in thinking deeper rims are not the best for climbing? - mainly down to the slower speed, sidewinds on the mountains/hills, (?weight even?)
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Stone me, that is fantastic.
  • But am I mistaken in thinking deeper rims are not the best for climbing? - mainly down to the slower speed, sidewinds on the mountains/hills, (?weight even?)

THey are 40 mm and pretty light... wind in the mountains? Not really, not until you reach the top at least...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    fantastic achievement

nice.

But am I mistaken in thinking deeper rims are not the best for climbing? - mainly down to the slower speed, sidewinds on the mountains/hills, (?weight even?)

I did an Alps trip this summer on 303 tubs (48mm deep) and they did a fantastic job. I saw plenty of chiseled Europeans on deep rims going uphill at daft speeds.
  • It's a mind bogglingly tough ride. Amazing achievement hats off to Mike.
  • Seems to be in a rush somewhere on that 1st climb

5cOaDx8.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty goddamm sure that those are Ultimate carbon tubs, not C40's.

Great choice! (And to think I offered my pair for sale at £800 in December...!)
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'm not in the know, but I suspect there's some leg pulling regarding the ugo/Mike Cotty connection :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty goddamm sure that those are Ultimate carbon tubs, not C40's.

You might well be right, the rims look the same, but as you say the spokes don't look like the C 40 on a closer inspection... more like carbon spokes
  • eddiefiola wrote:
    Seems to be in a rush somewhere on that 1st climb

5cOaDx8.jpg

The clue might be in the name of the village at 5Km? :lol:

You might well be right, the rims look the same, but as you say the spokes don't look like the C 40 on a closer inspection... more like carbon spokes

Yep, dems Ultimates alright. You can tell because the spokes are all carbon, no nipples, big hub flanges, etc. etc.

Wouldn't use anything else for climbing like that!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Well done Mike - some effort!

I have always wondered why mike never went pro. Saw him on my marmotte DVD and he did it quite a bit easier than me.

I remember years ago when I was down in the Lakes going over Wrynose and Harknott passes (doing the Fred on my own) and Mike was there with Cycling Weekly for the killer climbs reports and I was pleased that I got up without walking and he came gliding up looking like it was a walk in the park.
    Brian B.
  • Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.....now hang on there a second peeps! I normally try and help the good folk of the BR forum out with any general ride advice or Mavic related Q's that they may have but seeing a thread with that subject title, now that's thrown me off centre a little! Crazy days indeed!

Back atcha in a bit.....
    Mavic Community Manager
  • hobbot wrote:
    Sponsored/supported by Mavic, Mike Cotty rode from Evian-les-Bains and Nice in 33 hours. That included 17 mountain passes (almost double Everest vertically). He only stopped for slightly more than one hour. The bike was Cannondale Evo.

Ride Stats:

Distance: 677.1km
    Elevation: 16,066 meters
    Moving time: 32 hours 24 minutes
    Overall time: 33 hours 39 minutes

It's too bad new like that are not really wide spread here in the US, so we collected information from multiple media sources and made a compilation on the team website.

Hi Hobbot,

Thanks for the fantastic compilation on the team site! Hey, if you need any further info on the ride or equipment just give me a nod and I'll do my best to help.

Respect.

Mike
    Mavic Community Manager
  • His username on here is: ugo.santalucia

That's too funny :lol:
    Mavic Community Manager
  • eddiefiola wrote:
    Seems to be in a rush somewhere on that 1st climb

5cOaDx8.jpg

The clue might be in the name of the village at 5Km? :lol:

I think I subconsciously upped my pace after seeing that sign. Probably why the Glandon nearly killed me a few hours later too!
    Mavic Community Manager
  • Mike Cotty wrote:
    general ride advice or Mavic related Q's that they may have

hi mike
    on the subject then of mavic can I ask what are your opinions on the mavic krysium elite wheelsets,thinking about buying a set.

sorry if this is hijacking the thread a bit. :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Yep, Cosmic Carbone Ultimates were my weapon of choice. If anyone is interested I wrote a little blog on the kit that I used here http://www.mikecotty.co.uk/News.asp?NewsID=623. Of course, if anyone has any specific questions then feel free to give me a shout and I'll try and answer.

Safe riding everyone!

Mike
    Mavic Community Manager
  • Mike Cotty wrote:
    general ride advice or Mavic related Q's that they may have

hi mike
    on the subject then of mavic can I ask what are your opinions on the mavic krysium elite wheelsets,thinking about buying a set.

sorry if this is hijacking the thread a bit. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Your final choice may come down to what kind of rider you are, or what type of riding you do, but I think most would agree if you are looking for a versatile wheelset that offers a high level of both performance and durability for the price then the Elite is certainly worthy of consideration.
    Mavic Community Manager
  • Brian B wrote:
    Well done Mike - some effort!

I have always wondered why mike never went pro. Saw him on my marmotte DVD and he did it quite a bit easier than me.

I remember years ago when I was down in the Lakes going over Wrynose and Harknott passes (doing the Fred on my own) and Mike was there with Cycling Weekly for the killer climbs reports and I was pleased that I got up without walking and he came gliding up looking like it was a walk in the park.

Hi Brian,

If I'm honest I always dreamed of being a pro when I was growing up and I'd still sell body parts to this very day if I had the chance to race at the highest level (always looking to boost the power to weight ratio :wink:) I dedicated a disproportionate amount of time sat on my bike as a teenager trying to make it to that level but like everyone in life you get to the point where the road forks in two different directions and you have to make a choice. Since then I've just always tried to use my ability as best I can in a way that I can fulfill this crazy desire that I have inside to be amidst the heart of nature, halfway up a mountain, challenging my existence on the bike. I guess this thread is the story so far.....

MC
    Mavic Community Manager
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    Stunning effort and great write up / read up & good thread also

fair play :D