Tools on Tour

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited January 2014 in Road general
Nah - this isn't some derogatory thread on idiots riding their bikes long distance ... or actually, it could be ...

We all know (or should) what you need to take with you on a days ride ... but - what if you're going for a weekend or even a week or two?

Obviously it'll depend on where you're going.

So let's assume a couple of scenarios ...
1) You're staying in your home country - riding a weekend to a B&B for an overnight stop , onto another one the next day and back home the third day.

What do you take with you if:
a) You're transporting all your own kit.
b) Your wife/partner/friend is driving the route in the car.

then
2) You're off for a week or 10 days self guided touring in a foreign country - different accommodation each night.

What do you take with you if:
a) You're transporting all your own kit.
b) Your kit is being transported between accommodation - all you need to do is get yourself there on your bike.

I suppose there are a few things to consider.

if you are transporting all your own kit then you don't want to be lugging loads of tools around - especially if there are bike shops on route - or alternate means of transport.
If you've got alternate transport for your kit and you just need to get your bike there and you're not aware of any bike kit replenishment outlets on route then you can be more self sufficient.

We'll take for read that you have spare tubes, puncture repair, multi tool, spare chain links, tyre levers, tyre boot and of course, a pump!
For the longer foreign tour I'm thinking of things like spare tyres? ... cables? What else should you have in a portable toolbox?

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I've toured in France,UK and Spain for the past 25 years for up to three months at a time, carrying all my kit, as well as trips taking a road bike in the back of my car.

I take a Halfords, Park or Topeak multi-tool with Allen keys, screwdrivers and chain tool, a small adjustable spanner, spoke key, spare tube, puncture repair kit, tyre levers, tyre boot, tyre pressure gauge, chain oil, rag, chain quicklink, zip ties, plastic tape and frame-fit pump. That's always been sufficient for any maintenance or repairs whether for a weekend or two weeks away. The only exception was when my old-fashioned threaded headset lock nut loosened up in Provence. I borrowed a big adjustable spanner from the first garage I passed to tighten it up. I take spare brake/gear cables if I have some knocking around.

When taking my road bike in the car, I also carry a track pump and a spare tyre and WD40 or similar. I used to carry cone spanners for hub adjustments but they are no longer needed as both my road and touring bikes now have modern Campag Record hubs adjustable with Allen keys.

For long tours, I know some people recommend carrying loads of stuff like spare brake blocks, cables and tyres and I have done that myself but I have never found them essential in Western Europe. I try to travel as light as possible. If you make sure your brakes, tyres and cables are all in good nick before you set off, they are unlikely to wear out or break on, say, a two-week tour. If you need them, there are cycle shops or Decathlon stores in most medium-sized towns upwards.

Obviously, if you are going somewhere like Romania or the Arctic Circle, you do need to carry plenty of spares.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    When I’ve done long tours I’ve taken a couple of spare spokes with me (taped to my downtube)
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Spokes usually break on the heavily dished drive side of rear wheel so you also need to carry a cassette tool, chain whip and big spanner or a cassette cracker type gadget if you replace a spoke on your hols.
  • slowbike
    Ta MM - nice list :)

I'm swapping my rear tyre out for a new one as it's got a little tear in it - not enough to stop me from riding on it - but enough not to want to rely on it for >200 miles in a foreign land! I was going to take a spare tyre or two as they're folding and we'll have space in the bike boxes.

We'll be reliant on our bikes for transport, but there will be a tour rep contactable, so in case of catastrophic failure we will be able to rectify or rent a replacement.

I've recently bought a Lezyne Micro floor pump that attaches to the frame - it has a built in pressure gauge (the new in line ones) - it's OK to pump a tyre up to pressure, just ... hopefully I only need to do 4 tyres once!

I tried my multi-tool chainbreak to split a 10speed shimano ultegra chain - it worked after I put the tool in a vice to hold it whilst I twisted the other bit.... so that might be an issue underway, but I wouldn't think it'll be needed - both chains are in good condition.

Spokes ... hmm ... not broken a spoke yet (famous last words) - one is FR5 and the other Mavic somethingorothers - I had a spoke replaced on the Mavics and the LBS had to get them in especially,hope I don't need to do that again in a hurry!

Plastic tape - ah - electrical tape - yup, a couple of rolls are usually with me - along with cable ties and often some rope ...
    Chain Oil - got some small tubes of that so that'll do - rag is easy and will be used for packing anyway.

Cables - ok - but then I need a cutter too ...
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    I used to have a specialized multi tool with a chain breaker, it was just about useable. I now carry a few Allen keys and a park tool mini chain brute. Fits in saddle bag (micro caddy small) or tool bottle, not overly heavy and miles easier to use. If i was going on a long tour I'd replace the Allen keys with a small basic multi tool that included a few sizes and a screwdriver(s)

As for cables, you could cut them to length (and heatshrink/glue the ends) before setting off. Of course, they are designated to what they are going to be used so if you have multiple breakages in the same area, could be an issue. Otherwise, just coil the excess cable until you find a lbs or garage to cut them. I'd definitely take at least 1 gear cable, having no rear mech sucks.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Pretty much the same basic saddle bag stuff I would take with me on a 2 hour ride. For the touring scenarios one change of outfit, flip flops, documents, toiletries, phone, iPod and bose soundlink mini. All fitting in a topeak bar beam box and handlebar bag. Travelling light indeed but this has served me well in two continental holidays.

Bike gets a full service with new cables, brake blocks and tyres if necessary. I go mainly to France, it is bike friendly, I know my way around. I don't expect any issues but would be pretty confident of string them or getting them sorted
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I don't carry anything different touring to what I do normal riding (but, I can cover in 24 hours what I might cover in 4-5 days of touring!)

Multi tool
    Spoke key
    Tyre levers
    2 tubes
    Puncture patch kit
    Small tyre boot
    Pump
    Chain link
    Selection of cable ties
    Brake and gear cables
    Spare set of brake blocks
    Small bottle of lube
    Latex gloves

I don't carry spokes (broken one in my life by carrying way, way too much weight on wheels that weren't designed for it)

We generally tour in France, Spain etc. - so never anywhere where I am unlikely to be able to find some form of bike shop. Next tour is Thailand and may carry a few extra spares there.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I didn't take a folding tyre when I did a 10 day cycling tour in Europe... Yeah I regretted that...
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • slowbike
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Pretty much the same basic saddle bag stuff I would take with me on a 2 hour ride. For the touring scenarios one change of outfit, flip flops, documents, toiletries, phone, iPod and bose soundlink mini. All fitting in a topeak bar beam box and handlebar bag. Travelling light indeed but this has served me well in two continental holidays.

Bike gets a full service with new cables, brake blocks and tyres if necessary. I go mainly to France, it is bike friendly, I know my way around. I don't expect any issues but would be pretty confident of string them or getting them sorted

Nooooo ... we do not need beatbox assistance to climb the hills ....
  • slowbike
    Looks like I'll be supplementing with a gear cable or two. Electrical tape will sort out the excess till I can cut'n'cap it if needed.
    Brake blocks - yes, I'll have to check on those - perhaps replace the existing ones with new and take the old ones if they've still got a bit of life left.
  • For those of you that say you take spare spokes taped to your bike ... do you also take a cassette lock ring tool and chain whip in case it's a rear wheel spoke - they're not easy to get to with the cassette in the way.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @slowbike... Have no fear, that's only for relaxing in the evening!