my hands and feet are falling off: (

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
This morning the tips of my fingers and toes nearly fell off so I need to find something to stop this.

I've got the following;
Seal skinz leather gloves ( meant to be windproof and water
Feet : thick socks, tried foil and cling film . then finally shoe cover ( castelli nano ones).

I liked foil but it kept disintegrating.

Suggestions?
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If it's really cold then I put ski gloves on (an old pair) ...
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Layers is the key. But sometimes it is just too cold and no matter how amazing they say their gloves are, its gonna get to you. Unless, like whats been said, Ski Gloves.

I have silk glove liners with some Prendas gloves, this is fine down to 2 for me. Then below that I will use Prendas gloves with some Endura gloves over them.

For my feet, I use Prendas Thermal socks with some Sportiful neoprene no rain overshoes, well warm and lush.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Thick socks + Castelli Nano shoe covers = compressed feet and lack of circulation. Buy quality merino wool socks (merino content over 70%) and make sure to duct tape the vents on your shoes.

For gloves, look for something with Primaloft insulation as it has the same warmth index as down without the bulk.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    ^^ This

Mitts or Lobster Mitts are the way forward for ultimate warmth, and don't skimp when buying some.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mittens or lobster claw gloves are the warmest you can get.

If your socks are too thick - you'll have poor blood flow and then get colder feet. Maybe try thinner socks if your shoes become tight.

I'd also drop the bike into a lower gear. Spinning faster seems to keep me warmer than grinding a big gear.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Best (and most expensive!) gloves I have are the Assos Winter glove system. Down to 5-6C the glove on it's own is good. Below that there are "silk" liner gloves to go inside. And for conditions I don't ride in, a lobster mitt to go over the top! For shoes well I have Northwave winter boots with Wooly Booly socks, and for <5C I add a very thin pair of merino socks under the WB's.
  • I agree with the lobster claw gloves. I use these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weather-Cycling ... B006BZ6JAS
    Great (for me at least) even down to about minus 2 with no liner or anything underneath them. I commute in them and the only downside is if its really wet and the gloves get soaked it can take a long time to dry out before heading back home. For my feet I just use planet x's neoprene overshoes and they generally work out pretty well for me.
  • Grill wrote:
    Thick socks + Castelli Nano shoe covers = compressed feet and lack of circulation. Buy quality merino wool socks (merino content over 70%) and make sure to duct tape the vents on your shoes.

For gloves, look for something with Primaloft insulation as it has the same warmth index as down without the bulk.

Agree with Eric on this one.

Also, don't forget about how you're dressed overall. If the core cools down or is cold, blood will be drawn from the extremities (hands & feet) to keep the vital organs warm. Perhaps look at base layers/mid layers too?
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    rafletcher wrote:
    Best (and most expensive!) gloves I have are the Assos Winter glove system. Down to 5-6C the glove on it's own is good. Below that there are "silk" liner gloves to go inside. And for conditions I don't ride in, a lobster mitt to go over the top! For shoes well I have Northwave winter boots with Wooly Booly socks, and for <5C I add a very thin pair of merino socks under the WB's.

I'm virtually the same, but if I don't wear a skull cap below 5deg it seems to make a big difference.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    I suffer big time with this. This year, after 5 years of (almost) daily commuting, i bit the bullet and forked out on winter boots (NW Arctic). They're not cheap at c.£150 but when you commute for almost 3 hrs a day it does make a positive difference to your life. These with woolie boolies (plus a base sock if really cold - it was sub-zero on Tuesday morning so i doubled up) make even the coldest mornings bearable.

I won't lie, on Tuesday, towards the end of the ride (90mins) my toes were cold. But not dropping off like i've experienced in the past.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    meth_tical wrote:
    I agree with the lobster claw gloves. I use these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weather-Cycling ... B006BZ6JAS
    Great (for me at least) even down to about minus 2 with no liner or anything underneath them. I commute in them and the only downside is if its really wet and the gloves get soaked it can take a long time to dry out before heading back home. For my feet I just use planet x's neoprene overshoes and they generally work out pretty well for me.
    Dont get these ^^ just for the reason he explains, get some better waterproof ones.
  • dwanes wrote:
    meth_tical wrote:
    I agree with the lobster claw gloves. I use these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weather-Cycling ... B006BZ6JAS
    Dont get these ^^ just for the reason he explains, get some better waterproof ones.

I wouldn't say that's any reason NOT to buy them, if I was that pushed I could buy another pair (at £7 a pair I think that's still going to be cheaper than other alternatives) and leave one at work. I find that when the temperature is really low for me to wear these then usually it is not raining.
  • I've tried thin socks with overshoe but still get very cold.
    I think I might have to try some proper winter shoes.

My circulation on feet and hands isn't great ( long medical name beginning with Reynolds I think Lol).

Heres what I'm thinking and going to try.

Hands; current gloves ( sealskinz + under armour style tight fitting glove)

Feet merino socks ( which are best??)
    Tempted to get a different overshoe but won't a thicker one just make my feet sweat more thus Gert colder?? ( seems best to stick with my castelli neoprene ones, thin but effective.)

Thanks for advice
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I trick I've tried (and it's especially useful if it's raining or your gloves are already wet) is to wear a pair of disposable latex gloves as a liner. Your hands will sweat, but that will help keep them warm.
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    Also, don't forget about how you're dressed overall. If the core cools down or is cold, blood will be drawn from the extremities (hands & feet) to keep the vital organs warm. Perhaps look at base layers/mid layers too?
    +1
    OP - how warm is your core when riding?

Typically I will use 3/4 length or full length bib tights for the insulation the lower back, stomach and legs receive, a good skin layer such as Lidl long-sleeved top at £6 or others which inevitably cost more, a good thin but wind resistant winter jacket and a thin sleeveless gilet on top to keep the chest and neck protected from windchill, something like a Northwave bandana for the forehead. My approach is that if I can stop the body having to deal with the core or front getting cold then with thin layers I can ride comfortably without overheating and the body can still direct some warmth towards the hands and feet.
  • After spending a lot of money on gloves, my circulation in fingers and toes seems to get a little worse each year, I've found the following is pretty good for me:

Wet & Down to 5 Degrees or so:
    Assos Liner Glove/DeFeet Gloves under Castelli Diluvio Glove

Cold Glove to just below 0 Degrees:
    Castelli Estremo Gloves

Guessing the Estremo would be Ok with the Assos Liner Glove as well, next step is a lobster glove if I have trouble.

For the feet I've taken to the following:
    Endura Merino Wool Socks (thinner than the DeFeet Woolies),
    Neoprene Toe Cover, must keep the lower part of the shoe strap system pretty loose,
    Then a OverSock or Neoprene OverShoe if it's chucking it down

Recently on Club Runs where the temperature is at freezing levels I've taken to wearing:
    Lightweight Summer Sleeveless Base layer,
    HH Freeze Base Layer,
    Midlayer,
    Outerlayer

I've found the summer base layer helps to take a bit more sweat off the body whereas the merino base layer holds on to it, so it doesn't feel that great if you have a coffee stop or whatnot....
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • On cold dry days I've found the mycoal foot warmers pretty good. Absolutely useless if it's wet though.
  • Ive been thinking..

No matter what i wear on my hands or feet, it wont matter...

This is because if i have bad circulation thus my hands have no heat to insulate anyway, so no matter what i have trying to keep heat in, if theirs no heat in the first place nothing going to work.

So with this in mind, i think a heating element is required esp in the gloves.

Anyone know a good pair of heated glove inner??? seems the best idea and something i don't see many people suggest on bike forums but always on motorbike forums
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Best heated gloves are made by Snowlife. They're not cheap, but they do the job. I've made many custom heated footbeds in my day, but in this country the only people I would trust are Colin at Solutions4Feet or Hamish at Pro-Feet.

BTW- Your logic is flawed. Insulation also prevents heat loss, so if you start at reasonable temp then you'll stay there longer. If your circulation were as bad as you think you wouldn't be able to function in this country. Even Raynaud's sufferers appreciate insulation.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Silk liner gloves under your seal skins will help no end.
    Woolie Bollie merino socks are great and some neoprene overshoes will do a great job of insulating.

Put a piece of tape over any vents in the soles of your shoes and don't over tighter the straps, that will help too.

I used the above on a wet -2c ride a couple of weeks back and was toasty.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    I put tin foil under my insoles. Fold tin foil 3 or 4 times and cut round insole. Then I wear neoprene overshoes with mavic themo overshoes over the top. Merino socks! Feet toasty!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    vespario wrote:
    I put tin foil under my insoles. Fold tin foil 3 or 4 times and cut round insole. Then I wear neoprene overshoes with mavic themo overshoes over the top. Merino socks! Feet toasty!

I like your thinking !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    For gloves I have the Assos three layer system - I very rarely resort to the lobster outer layer which doesn't look all that substantial in the flesh, but it really does add a decent barrier to the outside temperatures.

Woolie Boolie merino socks have been a revelation for me this year. Admittedly the temperatures haven't been as challenging as last year but I've been comfortable wearing them and shoes only on pretty cold days, without overshoes. When the temperature drops further I have a pair of Rapha neoprene overshoes which are fantastic. (I presume the neoprene overshoes are all much of a muchness).

As others have said, it is essential that you keep the rest of your body warm. When it's cold I wear a headband/ ear protector AND either a Rapha merino wool or an Assos Stinger hat - you can always take one off if you get too hot!

Merino wool base layers are a fantastic help - I often combine a long and short sleeved layer below a long sleeved top. Assos thermal bib tights do an amazing job keeping you warm and, when exceptionally cold, I use Rapha embrocation (presumably similar to deep heat) on bum cheeks and above my knees. May sound a bit odd, but works a treat for me. I think if you manage your head and core temperatures it makes a big difference to hands and feet.

Peter