which bike?

crg1311
crg1311 Posts: 13
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
All,

I have a £1000 budget for a new road bike but stuck on what to buy.

At the moment i have a Merida racelite 900. Just looking for something a bit better as this was just to see how i like the road scene.

At present i have 2 bikes in mind and if possible would like some opinions or advice on what more experienced riders would go for. The 2 bikes are below.

Cube Peleton Race 2014

or

Merida Ride carbon 93.

The cube bike is £999 and the Merida £950. My local bike shop had the Merida at 1350 but its only the display model left hence the £950 price tag.

I have read a few reviews on both and the cube does seem to be value for money. The cube is aluminium frame with 105 groupset and the merida has a carbon frame with Tiagra Groupset.

What would be better?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• crg1311 wrote:
    What would be better?

Better for what?

It depends on what you expect to get from buying a new bike?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Get the Merida, the carbon frame is worth the drop in groupset as Tiagra is good enough. You will really like the carbon ride compared to aluminium. Also Merida are one of the top in MTB world and are increasing their reputation in the road bike side of the business.

Or buy 2nd hand - you get so much more for your money. Check out the classified ads on here for examples of what I mean.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Have a look at Planet X, you can get their well regarder Pro Carbon froame with full Ultegra for your budget.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Look at the HOY Sa Calobra .003 2014 from Evans. Very nice in the flesh and good value.

Don't listen to the rubbish about Carbon ride being better than Aluminium. I replaced my carbon frame with an aluminium frame and it is a smoother ride for it.
  • crg1311
    crg1311 Posts: 13
    At present i use the bike 5 times per week to commute to work and back but this year im looking to start going on longer rides at weekend etc. I was also considering keeping my merida for commuting only.

crg1311 wrote:
    What would be better?

Better for what?

It depends on what you expect to get from buying a new bike?
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Dolan L'Etape with SRAM Rival? £999
    Cheers, Stu