New Tyres

Ian_C
Ian_C Posts: 7
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

Yesterday on my way home from work I got a nasty gash in the sidewall of my rear tyre (~5mm length). Currently I've got Conti Gatorskins (folding type) on my Fulcrum Racing 5s. I've done ~3,000Km on them since I got them 9 months ago, and not had too many punctures riding on pretty rough bitumen Central Queensland (AUS) roads, but removing and replacing them is really tough!!!

So I'm seeking some advice on new tyres that are good all rounders:
1. Resilient for riding on rough roads
2. Easy to change
3. Light/Quick for general riding but also triathlons

Price isn't a big issue I just want the best tyres I can to make my riding most enjoyable!! :)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Schwalbe Duranos, the standard ones. Light-ish, fast, good grip and good p******e protection. I've just changed to them and they're good so far. On a recent ride, a mate got two flats on Gatorskins and I was fine.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Ian_C
    Thanks MattC. How easy were the Duranos to put on compared to other tyres you've used? Have you used Gatorskins before by any chance?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Have a look at the Panaracer Race Type D EVO 2 700x23 and 25mm
    http://www.panaracer.com/road.php#race_race_d
  • Ian_C
    Thanks for your input DJ. Although I'm a bit put off the Panaracer Type D after reading the review by Cycling Plus posted on BikeRadar which says "tight fitting and quite a fight to get over the rim"!

Back to MattC's recommendation of the Schwalbe Durano. Does anybody know what the major differences are between them and the Schwalbe Ultremo DD? From the descriptions I've read they sound pretty similar although the Durano is perhaps a bit more durable. How about the new Schwalbe One vs Ultremo DD?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ultremos are more delicate and wear out quicker than Duranos but they are normally lighter.

Another option is the Durano S. I commute on these - lighter than a standard Durano but still durable. Less long lasting perhaps. I find them easy enough to get on Campagnolo wheels. The depth of the rim has as much to do with the ease of getting the tyre on as the tyre itself.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sebo900
    sebo900 Posts: 14
    A much overlooked but very good tyre is the vredestein fortezza tricomp been using them for many thousands of puncture free miles so far, I found them really easy to get on the rim as well.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Ian,

The tyre review on BR is for the original Race D which was a tight fit, the Race D EVO 2 is the new model which has been resized and is now easier to fit and remove. I have one of the 700x25mm on my rear wheel, it went on/off easily without tyre levers, the wheel is a Giant own brand P-R2.
  • Ian_C
    Thanks for all the help and advice guys, I'll read up on all those suggestions and make a decision.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Another vote for Durano's. Perfect winter tyre - tough but pretty fast and plenty of grip.
  • Ian_C
    Good for UK Winters. How about 40 degree plus Australian Summers?
  • Duranos are the ticket, really. They'll handle anything.
  • Ian_C
    Thanks MisterMuncher