Ladies road bike

tomsimmonds
tomsimmonds Posts: 66
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
hi,

My girlfriend and i are planning a cycling holiday this spring, i have a roubaix and she would like something thats not going to be to her disadvantage. I have never really looked at womens bikes so not too sure where to start.

Any ideas ?
Cheers
Tom

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Unless she is tiny, get a man's bike
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • jane90
    jane90 Posts: 149
    What Bar Shaker said. Women's geometries cater best for smaller sizes. I'm 1.79m so found men's bikes suited me better but I made sure I specified narrower handlebars with it. There's a much greater range of choice and you're not restricted just to girlie colours.
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    I agree with Bar Shaker. I'm not big (5' nearly 2") and I have a ladies bike - my next one is definately going to be a man's bike. I have changed pretty much everythinf on my 'ladies' bike, which seems to me in retrospect simply to have been an exercise in frame size and colour - and I so don't care about the colour. The bars were inappropriate (hugely wide, with massively too much reach for the levers for women's hands), and the saddle in no way accomodating a woman's different attributes.
    I'd suggest that rather than the supposed gender of the bike, the kind of riding that this holiday will entail could be a better place to start?

After all, you always get some butterfly and unicorn stickers in pink and purple afterwards, as all bike manufacturers know that that is all we laydeez really care about.