Struggling to get KMC Masterlink off...

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Even though I'm familiar with these, I can't seem to get my new 11 speed one off.

I could do my 9 speed MTB chain in a few seconds, very easy. Then my 10 speed road bike was a bit trickier but still not too bad.

Now the new 11 speed is a right pain. The problem seems to be not so much the pushing the links together (along the line of the chain), but squeezing the link together to push the plates in.

Any tips?!

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Buy the tool. Much easier, less mucky: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chain-Link-Pl ... 461873acf6
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    He speaketh the truth ^^^
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    afaik kmc 11-speed links are non-reusable, i.e. not designed for removal by hand

they need a tool to remove them by brute force, then discard and fit a new link

9/10-speed re-usable links need no tool
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    There's a tool free method of doing it, but it's more of a trailside emergency type technique. Add some slack to the chain around the chainring so that you have an additional link standing proud of the chain, tap it with a hammer (or rock) and it will open.

Not pretty, but a cool trick.

But as others have said, buy the correct tool.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Have you seen this CTC-recommended tool-free technique mentioned above, Berni? Never tried it on 11-speed chain but it works as easy as pie on everything I've tried from seven speeds to 10 speeds. I use this trick all the time on the six bikes in our household. Never felt any need to buy a special tool. Here's the CTC article: http://www.ctc.org.uk/file/member/201107050_0.pdf

The 11-speed link is sold as non-reusable although a quick look on the internet suggests many people do re-use them successfully. Also it would appear that the KMC 10-speed quick link works OK on 11-speed chains, according to comments on cycle forums.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The last few chains that I've bought, one a 10 speed EL, a 10sp L and the other an 11 speed L have been absolute ba5tards to remove, before these it had never been an issue to open the link.
    I think that I'm heading down the tool road.
  • Excellent, some good tips there.
    Too late for me to get my hands all oily again now, but will try them out tomorrow, and order a set of pliers.
    Cheers!
  • jus71n
    jus71n Posts: 138
    dodgy wrote:
    There's a tool free method of doing it, but it's more of a trailside emergency type technique. Add some slack to the chain around the chainring so that you have an additional link standing proud of the chain, tap it with a hammer (or rock) and it will open.

Not pretty, but a cool trick.

But as others have said, buy the correct tool.

Wow, what a tip. Did this today

Thanks
    S-Works Tarmac Disc Di2 2017 :shock:

Felt AR3 Di2 :) (6870 11spd upgrade) 2012 - Now gone.

Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Ultegra 2016
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Definitely worth investing in some disconnecting pliers, I got a pair of lifeline ones from wiggle for about £7. It's just pot luck how easy they are to remove. I've had a few shimano bikes with a kmc chain and link that were a nightmare/impossible to remove by hand. On the other hand, I had a campag bike with a veloce chain (and kmc link) that could be undone easily with finger and thumb
  • Buy the tool. Much easier, less mucky: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chain-Link-Pl ... 461873acf6

Order them directly from Planet X.....only £3.99 and if you can make your order up to £20 then free postage, otherwise even with the £2.50 postage you''ll save £1 on the ebay price

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWPMLP/jobsworth-pro-master-link-pliers
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Good call. I was being lazy and didn't check.
  • In the end, as I just learnt that the link isn't reusable, and I don't have any more on me, I just cleaned the chain in situ. Not too impressed at having to pay almost a fiver to get the chain off each time (for a new link).
    I used to take it off and fully clean about once a month…..
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    I'm using 10 speed and intend to stick with 10 speed if I can with any future purchases. For me, the additional cost of 11 speed consumables outweighs any benefits.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    As above, a 10 speed link works fine on 11 speed.