Aaarrrggghhh Liggett

Comments

• TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I can't forgive his Armstrong interview. He said he would resign if Armstrong doped, and he should walk the walk.

He fell back on the 'but I'm locked into a contract with NBC and i have to see that through' thang

I'm sure he could buy his way out.

No freaking intention of doing so. He's on a cushy number.

Which brings us back to your point.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I can't forgive his Armstrong interview. He said he would resign if Armstrong doped, and he should walk the walk.

He fell back on the 'but I'm locked into a contract with NBC and i have to see that through' thang

Utter rubbish - they can't force him to fly to the best races in the world and into the commentary box. All he'd have to say is 'I can't hack it anymore, your viewers deserve better, get someone younger & cheaper.' Suspect he quite likes the cash still tho, and why not if no-one is telling him to buck up or get out.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    edited January 2014
    This comes up every year, although normally in July.

You will miss them when they are gone. They have become part of the fabric of the sport (much like Peter Alliss in Golf and Murray Walker was in GP). Yes they make gaffes and have much repeated cliche's, but it is their USP.

The Armstrong was a bit of an issue but lets not forget where most of their income is from.

Did anyone experience last year Vuelta when Graham Jones sat in for Paul? I sort of did but fell asleep every time listening to GJ's unenspiring drone, despite the fact that it was well informed and insightful. Sean Kelly was a great rider but has the on-mic charisma of a lump of coal.

I rejoice in the 'Phil & Paul show' as I appreciate it will not be here much longer and when it ends so will the era that drew me into cycling.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    In fairness, when Phil was doing the Vuelta with Graham Jones last year, he was actually on good form. I don't know whether he dialled it back because it wasn't going to the US, or whether Sherwen winds him up or something.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Dave Harmon appears to be looking for a gig - Phil watch out!
  • They need to find two ex riders with a bit of banter like dare I say it Carra and Nevile do on MNF
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    he's terrible, Paul Sherwen is worse....
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    They need to find two ex riders with a bit of banter like dare I say it Carra and Nevile do on MNF

But hopefully someone who doesn't have hero worship for his old captain!
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I find it weird how fans of lots of sports just cant handle the idea of watching their favourite sport while listening to a new voice, having it introduced by a new theme music etc etc. Are sports fans the most conservative folk on earth??

Murray Walker was an irritating idiot and Liggett apparently lost all his credibility last year over the Lance stuff only for less than 12 months later to be welcomed back like Santa Claus.

Ship these old tw*ts out and get someone who's half decent at the job in!
  • hopak
    hopak Posts: 193
    Wiggins ?
    With insights from Contador?
    "Aqui esta El Grande Jens Voight. Repartiendo el dolor."
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    He's 70, give the guy a break!

Thats why he should have retired by now , no wonder young people can't get jobs
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I actually met him when I was a kid, he seemed alright to be fair.

Any chance you have a few stories you could tell to the Yew Tree team and get him off the TV?
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Like many people, I loved watching Ch4 in the 80's and early 90's with Ligget and Sherwen. However, these days I simply cannot stand them. I won't watch cycling if they are commentating. Compared to the best (Harmon), Ligget and Sherwen are clowns.

Ditto squeaky Antlike McCrossan. That is all.
  • They seem to be continuously addressing first time viewers.
    Still, I remeber Phil in his black Channel4 skinsuit 'taking us' around each of the Kellogs circuits - cringe.

'Big Jens Voigt doing a job of work'
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    I would just like Maarten Tjallingii to be in every race and to do a lot in every race so that P&P have to try and pronounce his name, oh and Edvald Boysen Hagen too. Both of them in every break in every race would be hilarious. Oh and Robert Gesink too.

To be fair to them, Gesink is Dutch, and in Dutch a "G" is pronounced like a soft version of the Scottish "ch". "Hesink" isn't a million miles away from being correct, and is closer than Gesink with a hard "G".

But I do cringe when "Martin Jangly" is mentioned...
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • Barney Rice was worse
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Has anyone mentioned how rubbish Anthony McCrossan is yet?
  • Got to go. Someone said Murray Walker was irreplaceable but I think the current breed are ar superior (although it took a few years to find their feet)

Although, I do occasionally feel sorry for them. Cricket commentators rotate every 20 minutes (with experts rotating around them) and it works very well. Would it really cost that much more to fly 3 guys to an event?

David Millar for the WC RR 2012 was great - really hope he goes into it after retiring.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    GSVBagpuss wrote:
    Got to go. Someone said Murray Walker was irreplaceable but I think the current breed are ar superior (although it took a few years to find their feet)

Although, I do occasionally feel sorry for them. Cricket commentators rotate every 20 minutes (with experts rotating around them) and it works very well. Would it really cost that much more to fly 3 guys to an event?

David Millar for the WC RR 2012 was great - really hope he goes into it after retiring.

Absolutely. He has the necessary commentating "panache" to carry it off.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • blim wrote:
    I would just like Maarten Tjallingii to be in every race and to do a lot in every race so that P&P have to try and pronounce his name, oh and Edvald Boysen Hagen too. Both of them in every break in every race would be hilarious. Oh and Robert Gesink too.

To be fair to them, Gesink is Dutch, and in Dutch a "G" is pronounced like a soft version of the Scottish "ch". "Hesink" isn't a million miles away from being correct, and is closer than Gesink with a hard "G".

But I do cringe when "Martin Jangly" is mentioned...

Ik weet dat wel. Dat was mijn hele punt.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Best commentary ever ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D568_-2E2Uo

What happened to Klause binn ?
  • GSVBagpuss wrote:

It was a lot down to current knowledge though, and being to describe the dynamics of the teams becuase he knew the players e.g. the Belgian team working for Boonen as Gilbert is a bit of an outsider. If he keeps that up (and Magnus B was also pretty good during MSR 2013) then someone sign him up!!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    GSVBagpuss wrote:
    GSVBagpuss wrote:

It was a lot down to current knowledge though, and being to describe the dynamics of the teams becuase he knew the players e.g. the Belgian team working for Boonen as Gilbert is a bit of an outsider. If he keeps that up (and Magnus B was also pretty good during MSR 2013) then someone sign him up!!

You are absolutely right and it goes to show that a race commentary career can be time limited. Although I enjoy the occassional pearl from Kelly, and his palmares makes him a God, I think racing has moved on and you need recent ex-pro's for the inside line on things (even if it is in addition and to commentate on how cycling has moved on)
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Kelly is still king for me - I like his dry humour and no matter how long he's been retired I still think he makes the most insightful analysis.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Kelly is still king for me - I like his dry humour and no matter how long he's been retired I still think he makes the most insightful analysis.

I'll never forget his gem in the Giro a few years ago:
    "sometimes you've got to give them a good fookin' drilling"
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875

He can read a race incredibly well can Kelly , I can see why he won a few races
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

I'll never forget his gem in the Giro a few years ago:
    "sometimes you've got to give them a good fookin' drilling"

I can't take him seriously, I know that somewhere behind that camera his hair is lurking and that creeps me out.
  • wardieboy
    wardieboy Posts: 230
    Why not Imlach and Boardman?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    wardieboy wrote:
    Why not Imlach and Boardman?
    When has Imlach ever done commentary?
    Twitter: @RichN95