Help! What gearing to spec for my new Brompton?

brompton pilot
brompton pilot Posts: 21
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
Coming back to cycling after many years away and am getting a Brompton through the cycle to work scheme.The problem is I have no idea on what gearing to get,2,3 or 6.
I want to use the bike for general commuting and fitness.I need a folder due to a lack of storage space at home and I've always fancied a Brompton so it wasn't a difficult decision . My commute has one long drag of a hill and is then fairly flat,total commute is 3 and a half miles each way,the hill is less than a quarter mile in total length.I have read lots of posts on here regarding Brompton gearing and have just confused myself on what I need-what do owners and experts recommend ?

Comments

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    For a commute that short i would advise you get the two speed. It's the lightest bike (bar the single) and has the simplest mech which never goes wrong. The cruising gear will whip you along at 15-20 when you get back into it and the bail out cog will let you spin up hills and set off sprightly from the lights. You can get the 3 speed but to be honest the top end on that is only slightly higher whilst the weight penalty is severe. Don't order one with the built in dynamo hubs and lighting, that weighs a ton. Do get one with mudguards, and if you can stretch to it then the S-Bag is fantastic and means you can do away with a sweaty back/rucksack combo.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I ordered a 2 speed but as they couldn't get one had to go with a six speed.

Since then I've been up the col de Croix Fry, Annecy-Semnoz (last climb of 2012 tour), Jaizkibel and more on it.

Get as many gears as you can afford. the great thing about a Brompton is that you'll never know where it might take you...

Strava is not Zen.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    calvjones wrote:
    Since then [..], Annecy-Semnoz (last climb of 2012 tour)

Did you see many other Brompton riders in the alps? Get any scalps? I think I'd be quite cross if I was slogging my way up a girt big hill and have a folder come by (with briefcase attached etc...)
  • Decided on S bars,type L but the gear thing is doing my head in !
    Can't decide between a reduced gear 3 speed or a reduced 6 speed, leaning towards the 6 but I just don't know :shock:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    S barss - tick
    L spec - tick (if you can afford it)

So advantage of 6 gears over 3 is the closeness of the gears plus one higher or lower gear depending on how you spec the 3 speed rear cog. The isisue is to get to "next" gear up you go up one the hub gear and the down one on the deraileur etc -.ie.e odd gears are on one rear cog and even gears on another. Some peopel think this is a right pain in the back side.

3 gears is a bit lighter (no deraileur and 1 less cog) and simpler - some people have trouble with rear deraileur sticking but I don't belive its any worse that any other RD, it just needs more maintenance than a hub gear does.

I manage just fine with my 3 speed - yes the jump between gears is quite large but you vary your cadence to cope. I have the +8% spec which was great on a flat commute, now I've moved halfway up a steep hill i'm wishing I'd gone for standard and might well change the front chainring to a 50T.

On the plus side grinding up the steepest bit with 54T is good strength training!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I'm just trying to build "a Brompton for the enthusiastic but new cyclist " for £1000
    Part of the problem is that there is so much or even too much choice
    But if I get it wrong I can pay to get more gears if needed,I just don't want to get it wrong to start with
    But I also don't want to over spec, too much choice :|
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    craker wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    Since then [..], Annecy-Semnoz (last climb of 2012 tour)

Did you see many other Brompton riders in the alps? Get any scalps? I think I'd be quite cross if I was slogging my way up a girt big hill and have a folder come by (with briefcase attached etc...)

Just me and my mate. Got to the top and some joker in the café said 'oi, you'll have to go back... you forgot the shopping'. Still had the S bag on ...

I think the trilby really finished it off... the Strava segments were nowt to write home about tho.

Stelvio / Gavia / Mortirolo hopefully this summer, by train of course. AMAZING things, Bromptons

Strava is not Zen.