Weather proof Jacket

dancing
dancing Posts: 16
edited January 2014 in Road general
HI All,

Have about £100 to spend on the above am looking at the Northwave products does anybody have any of these or perhaps would recommend a product they wear.

Cheers

Dancer

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What is it for? Commuting or club rides?

If club/leisure rides do you actually want a jacket to wear permanently, a weather proof jersey or something to pull out of your jersey when it rains?
  • Anonymous
    Altura Night Vision Evo would be a good commuting option.
    Gore Phantom (just over £100) would be my 'weatherproof' jacket/soft shell/jersey recommendation.
  • dancing
    Carbonator wrote:

If club/leisure rides do you actually want a jacket to wear permanently, a weather proof jersey or something to pull out of your jersey when it rains?

Its for training in.

thanks
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Very happy with my Altura transformer top, might worth a look.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • Anonymous
    dancing wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Its for training in.

thanks

The Gore Phantom is a fantastic jersey/jacket. The fabric (all of it) is wind and water proof (not just water resistant) and it is very breathable.
    The arms come off so it is very versatile too.
    RRP is £150 but you can get it for £112 (in Evans) or less at the moment, and that makes it much better value than ones just under £100.

If you want a racier fit have a look at the Pearl Izumi Pro Softshell 180 jacket (£97 in Evans).
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    IME there are weather proof items and then there are sweat proof items, not both in one garment.

If you ride at anything like a reasonable effort you will boil in the bag in a fully waterproof item.

Essentially you will get wet form either the inside or the outside so keeping warm is the priority. Wind chill is your enemy.

Soft shell type jackets are good in this respect such as the Gore one mentioned.

But you will get wet whatever you do one way or another.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    smidsy wrote:
    IME there are weather proof items and then there are sweat proof items, not both in one garment.

If you ride at anything like a reasonable effort you will boil in the bag in a fully waterproof item.

Well I used to think this until I bought a Gore Oxygen jacket. Went out for 80km in the lashing rain somewhat perversely to test the jacket out as I rarely do rides of that length in that sort of weather. Well it rained fairly hard all the way round and when I got in my top half was bone dry and I hadn't toodled round either. Frankly I was amazed and would highly recommend as a breathable waterproof outer
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    +1 for the Gore Phantom II.

It's a superb jacket. I was out for 4 hours in the rain a couple fo weeks ago and the temperature ranged from -2c to 0c. I was warm and dry when I got home. I've had the jacket for about 3 years and it shows no signs of wear or its weather proofing deteriorating.

There are similar jackets in the Gore range with a more racey cut, but for your budget, you should be able to get a Phantom II and it will do you proud.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Anonymous
    I like my Gore Phantom II so much I just got another one in a smaller size and different colour.
    Its a bit of a bargain IMO.

I am Mr Sweaty and not had any breathability issues. Had a DHB rain mac to put on in heavy showers which worked well.
  • Anonymous
    Just noticed that Evans Cycles have an extra 10% off sale clothing which makes the Phantom £100.
  • dancing
    Thanks for all the advise i will take a look at the gore.

Dancer
  • Just been out in my Castelli and it worked perfectly, made of lightweight event fabric, it is waterproof and breathes. Bit more than £100 but I have found it superb.
  • Just been out in my Castelli and it worked perfectly

Which one is it Chris?
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    In winter in wet west of Scotland i use an Asos 851 soft shell with a Gore paclite (goretex) rain jacket. The rain jacket is fantastic and is probably the best bit of cycling clothing I own.
  • Anonymous
    In winter in wet west of Scotland i use an Asos 851 soft shell with a Gore paclite (goretex) rain jacket. The rain jacket is fantastic and is probably the best bit of cycling clothing I own.

Which rain jacket is it? Have a link?
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Carbonator wrote:

Which rain jacket is it? Have a link?

Mine is like this, its not flappy in the wind and is fantastic in heavy rain or where I know there will be a lot of spray in a bunch

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... ex-jacket/
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    Carbonator wrote:
    The Gore Phantom is a fantastic jersey/jacket. The fabric (all of it) is wind and water proof (not just water resistant) and it is very breathable.
    The arms come off so it is very versatile too.
    RRP is £150 but you can get it for £112 (in Evans) or less at the moment, and that makes it much better value than ones just under £100.

If you want a racier fit have a look at the Pearl Izumi Pro Softshell 180 jacket (£97 in Evans).

i got both jackets, unfortunately i ripped my gore during an accident.

Gore is a lot more relaxed fit but I do like the Izumi, it has really nice warm fleece liner.

neither is completely waterproof during a heavy rain or drizzle but you are going at some speed. but they won't get saturated that you feel like you are wearing a wet blanket. matter of fact they still keep you warmish and you will get a bit of soaking from your own sweat i.e. your baselayer gonna be moist.
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • Anonymous
    interesting as you have both.
    How do you find the difference in breathability and that the P.I. has a normal (i.e. not waterproof) back panel?

I kind of assumed that the Gore fabric is more breathable and that the P.I. needs the panel because of this.

Is the Gore more suited to wet weather generally?
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    neither are waterproof, both are water repellent. heavy rain the outer fabric will repel a good portion of the rain and retain some of it in the fabric thus it gets heavier the longer you stay out there (to a point). but the rain water somehow never geting through the jackets. I.E you won't be wetted by the rain water but will start to get sweaty and get moist like that. I think when the water start soaking the outer fabric it blocks the pores which provide ventillation.

Both jackets are wind proof tho that is super important.

Personally i sweat hard, but i find both jackets work very well, if i get too warm pull down the zip a little i am fine and too cold cloe the zip off. But neither can keep me completely dry (assuming a dry day of cycling) through the sweating.

But that said I am not boiling under either jackets and they are both comfortable. So they must let some thing "breath through" and some venting through the zips

I just prefer the PI cos its fit and the roubaix liner. Either one of them will be fine in my opinion. the convertible zip on Gore is a bit of a faff not really useful, when do you want a windproof water repellant softshell gillet for winter season...like never!

mine got ripped around the zip on the sleeves which rendered it useless basically. Although i got mine for ridiculously good value from CRC.
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Endura Convert is a solid choice as well. Pretty much identical to the Gore Phantom and a bit cheaper.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg