Guerciotti Cartesio, Cube AGREE GTC PRO, or GIANT TCR 1!?

Nellyphwee
Nellyphwee Posts: 6
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all!

I am new to this site and thought this is the place to get some good advice!?

I've been riding my road bike for a couple of years and have decided it time to upgrade to my first carbon bike.
I am currently riding a 7005 aluminium frame with a sora group set. I'm 6ft 2" and weight 15.3st and will be using the bike for commuting to and from work (18 miles a day) and long weekend rides. There are three bikes that jump out at me which are a Guerciotti Cartesio with a 105 group set, a Cube AGREE GTC PRO (2014) with a 105 group set, and a Giant TCR 1 (2013) with an ultegra group set. Its important for me that the bike is comfortable on long rides but I do also enjoy a fast blast to and from work. If anyone owns or has had a ride on either any constructive advice would be appreciated.

I've also been looking at planet x and Condor bikes... Would I benefit from one of these over my top there?

I am swayed towards the Cube over the other two because I love the styling and the gear on it. I also own a Cube 29er hard tail MTB which I ride hard and I am very impressed with the build quality and components (German engineering). I know I can't compare a road bike to a MTB but it tempting to stick with a brand you know performs. Personal preference is key and we are truly spoilt for choice as there are a lot of tasty kit out there. Guerciotti and Giant bikes are very nice bits of kit also with good components, but I haven't any experience with either..uugggh!

If anyone can pass on some of there wisdom or thoughts...please :D

Thanks

Comments

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Hi Nellyphwee,
    I can only comment on my experience with my Giant TCR Comp 1.
    I must have looked at a just about every bike on the market before I purchased my TCR. I'm very happy with it, gearing is very good. It's also Ultegra as you know.
    I ride a lot of different bikes, most of them are in a similar budget range to what your looking at and most of them have 105. (army cycling club buys rose bikes with 105) Most people say that there is very little between Ultegra and 105, whilst this may be correct I personally really like my Ultegra. It might be a mental thing, but I just prefer it.
    I'm still getting used to the set up on my TCR, but I really enjoy the ride.
    Personally I think a lot of the bikes in the price range are going to be good bikes and fit for purpose. I'm a bit weird in that I like the look of the 2014 Giant and not a fan of Planet X bikes (visually as never ridden one).
    After trying out a lot of bikes, I just went for the one I liked the look of and I thought would give me less grief over the years (giant retailler on my doorstep) - that sounds like i'm picking a new wife!!

Go test ride and see what you think. And when buying always be cheeky and ask for discount. (sorry if that sounds daft but I know someone who paid full retail price for a new bike, he didnt ask, I got 10% of in same store)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    go and try them all, you'll know then ..
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    I've found the Cube to be plenty comfortable, really happy with mine.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Go view them and choose the one that you like the look of best.
    If you dont choose the best looking one then you will regret not buying it.
  • Thanks for the replies!

I will be having a look at the Giant and Cube tomorrow as there are both Cube and Giant dealers near me. The Cube will be in cycles UK where I can get 20% off anything in store, which is a massive bonus. The giant from a private dealer. Both bikes will come in at the same price after discount (around the £1000 mark).