Straight pull or normal spokes?

Thewaylander
Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
edited January 2014 in MTB general
ok guys,

Doing some research on things ready for possible bike build in May, and trying to figure out benefits and cons to these on my planned wheels.

From what i can see its pro is strength no real weight change but more awkward to get spares?

cheers

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Harder to work with too, and IMO the strength benefits are negligible.

Standard J-bend all the way.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There are dubious claims of stiffness from straightpull, unconvinced. Strength? Absolutely unconvinced, breaking at the J is rare in well built wheels anyway. Weight saving, often the hubs are heavier.

So basically, they are more expensive, there's less choice, and they're a bollocks to find. Broke a supercomp in Fort William, went to every shop within about 50 miles, they didn't just have no straightpulls to fit, they had no straightpulls whatsoever (so we straightened a j-pull spoke, ideal)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    The odds of a shop having them on the shelf is nil, but not really a problem as these days it only takes a couple days to get them in from the manufacturer, if you don't want to be in that position of having to wait keep a few spares.... besides being more tricky to work with the main downside as far as I'm concerned is that they are much more expensive.