Wood Wallmount for Roadbike

GJTheunisse
GJTheunisse Posts: 18
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I've been looking for a wooden wallmount, preferably something that won't horribly disfigure the room in which I keep my bikes. The following has been suggested as a possible solution:

http://www.urbancitybikeshelves.com/

It ticks the boxes of neatness and not messing up the general appearance of the room. Pretty pricey though, when you factor in shipping to the UK. Does anyone know of anyone building something similar a bit closer to home (London)? I know I could probably get the materials and have a go myself but I'm not sure how well I could finish it given it's over twenty years since my last schooldays attempts at woodworking.

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    The dimensions are on the website - give these and a photo to your local chippy and I'm sure he'll knock something together far cheaper. You just need to make sure the joints are strong enough to hold the bikes weight. As well as screwing or dowelling from top to bottom I'd be inclined screw a hidden aluminium plate on the reverse side to hold it all together
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    There was a guy on here making them - the posts (with pics) are on here somewhere.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • $150, (or $180 for a 'custom' version) is pretty pricey, even though they're nicely made in quality wood.

Not sure how much shipping is, but you'll also have VAT and import duty to pay, so you're gonna be in the £150 region IMO.

I could make one of these in pretty much the wood of your choice, dimensions of your choice, for about £50.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    smidsy wrote:
    There was a guy on here making them - the posts (with pics) are on here somewhere.

Very nice they were too.
  • Nice one Berni. Might get back to you on that - I'll send you a pm.
  • murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    smidsy wrote:

Is this it.

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12947944&hilit=Wood
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Indeed.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Concerns with a wall mount are:
    That it is strong enough, and securely fastened to solid support in the wall.
    Bumping the wall with tires, pedal, handlebar, when loading / unloading - and also whether it is likely to be bumped by accident.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Check out @TheBikeRooms on Twitter. Their last tweet shows a bike mounted on some wall mounted handlebars.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Why not make one from an old pallet?
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    I recently bought this and am very pleased with it.
    Not quite the same requirements as you but may still be of interest.
    I needed something safe for my 2 year old not to knock over. And for two bikes. Works on both counts.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    Why not make one from an old pallet?

Because it would look like cr*p.

(Unless you like shabby chic...... :D )
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    I bought one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000TM96MM
    81HDlGAmUIL._SY600_.jpg

Careful shopping around meant I managed to get it for a shade over £100 from wheelies, which is not cheap, but the addition of one more mounting hook (it comes with 2) means I can keep our 3 nicest bikes indoors.

Actually, my mistake, the one I linked too there you extend so it is jammed between the floor and ceiling, the one I opted for is free standing, a bit like a christmas tree stand if you will.
    Here we go:
    7779-23565-full-oak-84.jpg

Will be erecting it, fnaar fnaar, in the next month or so.
    Some glowing reviews online.

Fatbirds appear to be the cheapest at £110 right now.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • For those that remember Blue Peter, 'here's one I made earlier'...

From a 150 year old oak plank, itself made from 150 year (at least) old oak.

The toptube hole slopes down for security (bike can't be knocked out), and the hole decreases down to SL4 toptube size. Might add some felt or foam to make it super soft!

Not as good as factory made stuff, don't have the tools for that, and wood this old, damp and cold, doesn't like being brought into centrally heated houses, so moves a bit, but hey, it works!
  • And some pics with it quickly mounted on a cupboard door;

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    That, sir, is a nifty bit of work. Good job, looks great.