Northwave Extreme Tech SBS

pirnie
pirnie Posts: 242
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I've been debating buying a pair of these... I know Northwave fit my feet well and they're available with a decent discount at the moment. Anyone got a pair or able to offer an opinion on them?

Cheers

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I have two pairs, 2013 version in white and in black. Great shoes that are extremely light, stiff and yet comfortable too. They do come up smaller than other NW shoes I've had (I went up half a size) but they are still good for wide feet. They come with two pairs of insoles, a thinner one for Winter weight socks and a thick one for Summer weight socks. A very good idea IMO. You also get a mesh bag with them.

The inside of the shoe is seamless and smooth so there's no rubbing or irritating seams, etc.

The SBS ratchet system is as good as it's always been and the winch system is solid and both allow you to have granular control over the fit. Adjusting them on the move is also very simple.

I've been using one of the pairs since about May/June and use them in all weathers and apart from scuffs to the carbon sole they're aging pretty well. The black pair are still boxed and will be getting broken in soon (they were reduced heavily by PBK, rude not to)

If you try them and find that they fit then they are a great shoe and I'd definitely buy another pair.

I definitely prefer them over the S-Works in terms of features and performance and the S-Works just didn't hold my heel properly. I returned them and ended up going for the NW Extreme Techs. Glad I did.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • pirnie
    Thanks for that. I must admit I'm getting more and more tempted, I haven't heard a bad review yet... But I don't really need new shoes, apparently I'm in the sort of mood where I want to buy new shiny things though.
  • I have the MTB version and just bought a second pair to store in the cupboard as it would be rude not too with the offers on, not that the orginal pair look like they are going to give in anytime soon.

They look and at first feel slightly narrower than my cheaper Northwaves, but after a couple of wears softern and fit perfectly. I've wide feet and didn't need to size up like I would with other brands I've tried.
  • I have some too. I use the speedplay adaptor thingy as well which is really good.
    I would definitely buy again.
  • pirnie wrote:
    Hi,

I've been debating buying a pair of these... I know Northwave fit my feet well and they're available with a decent discount at the moment. Anyone got a pair or able to offer an opinion on them?

Cheers

Hi,
    We started distributing these a few months ago here in the states. I've tried on the Extreme Techs and concur with all the other comments in this thread relating to their fit and function. I prefer them over my Gaerne and Mavics. Cheers!

Kenny
    http://www.hawleycompany.net/blog/
  • morph
    morph Posts: 63
    Pirnie, just make sure that's based on Northwave shoes from the last couple of years, if not try them on.

I have a 3-4 year old pair of Northwave shoes that fitted me well, so bought the same size in these. But unfortunately since 3 years ago Northwave have gone for a more normal width. So unfortunately I have a brand new pair of fantastic shoes that I can't use with my flipper feet.

I can't return them, as I've put in the speedplay adaptors and ridden them a couple of times so I'll have sell them second hand. Next time I'll do my research

Incidentally if anyone wants a mint condition size 46 pair of Northwave SBS Extreme shoes in white in West London...
  • pirnie
    I've now got a pair and they're lovely shoes so far! Not actually had them out on the road yet because of the bad weather. They seem to fit exactly the same as the fighters I had before.

Shame you didn't post earlier morph, or I'd have happily taken them off your hands :/
  • morph
    morph Posts: 63
    Oops, didn't realise it was a thread that had been resurrected. Good to hear you like yours. No worries, I imagine someone from my club will probably grab them once I get round to advertising them.