DA 7900 bling jockey wheels

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I am having the bike serviced and thinking of trying a jockey wheel upgrade.

Thinking ceramic bearings and a colour.
FSA red or Tolken silver or BBB grey ones look ok but seem to have issues with DA 7900.

Anyone know of any good ones that work well?

Cheers :wink:

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Yeah, the original ones, so there is no real upgrade that you would notice apart from changing the looks. Unless the original ones are completely shafted and need replacing.
  • Anonymous
    Just for colour then ;-)
  • mfin
    Carbonator wrote:
    Just for colour then ;-)

Ok, go for black ones, they look best as they don't look like you've bought coloured Jockey Wheels for the sake of it :)
  • Anonymous
    Any idea where I can get some ceramic black ones then? ;-)
  • Shimano do some nice ones on dura ace rear mechs.
  • Anonymous
    Best in the world I have heard. Especially when they have bedded in after thousands of miles :roll:
  • mfin
    Carbonator wrote:
    Any idea where I can get some ceramic black ones then? ;-)

No point if they're not worn out, but you could just change them anyway, then you could go for another colour :)
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    why not go for some carbon jockey wheels.

I use one AFC and one carbon.

AFC [plastic] is the lightest jockey wheel you can get and my carbon I use, to take more of the strain nearer the mech. http://www.afcbike.com/tr/?p=301

They weigh less than 7grms the pair and I climb 53 x23/26 no issues whatsoever and very smooth.

Ceramics in jockey wheels are not really going to give you an advantage.

Unless your on a TT bike going for all those marginal gains.

Fibre lyte make carbon jockey wheels without any bearings and they work amazing.
  • If you have some money to throw away, I can give you my paypal account and send you some Haribo in return...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    Thanks rayjay, some useful advice at last!

You other guys are funny coming along with sarcastic comments to flex your 'aren't I great knowing sooooo much about bikes' (but probably just repeating something you heard someone else say) muscles, and doling out free unwanted/unrequested financial advice :lol:

Are jockey wheels the magical part of the drivetrain that does not wear out and is the same quality from SIS to DA, and nothing is better?

I have had to change chain and cassette due to wear and upgraded both of those so seems worth trying some new jockey wheels if there are better quality/looking ones.

Do you guys moan at people who change their bar tape too?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Think there are some options such as Berner ones (larger but I think these are sufficiently large that it is also a cage upgrade- mega bucks) or maybe Tiso or Token ones.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    You other guys are funny coming along with sarcastic comments to flex your 'aren't I great knowing sooooo much about bikes' (but probably just repeating something you heard someone else say) muscles, and doling out free unwanted/unrequested financial advice :lol:

It is sarcastic, but it is good advice. Some people see cosmetic upgrades as a waste of money and jockey wheels can only be cosmetically upgraded, as the standard ones are just as good as those with ceramic bearings, in fact better as they allow a bit of lateral play that those with sealed bearings do not.
    If you don't like to be told the truth, ignore it, but don't slate it or you won't get any more advice. Certainly not from me anyway
  • Anonymous
    edited January 2014
    Carbonator wrote:

It is sarcastic, but it is good advice. Some people see cosmetic upgrades as a waste of money and jockey wheels can only be cosmetically upgraded, as the standard ones are just as good as those with ceramic bearings, in fact better as they allow a bit of lateral play that those with sealed bearings do not.
    If you don't like to be told the truth, ignore it, but don't slate it or you won't get any more advice. Certainly not from me anyway

That bit would have been good advice.
    Sarcasm + money references just seem like sour grapes. When put like you did above the money reference sounds helpful though.

I am happy to spend £35 on cosmetic changes but was hoping for a marginal improvement too.

The lateral play point certainly rings alarm bell though. Guess thats why Tolken say the gears need to be indexed perfectly on DA7900.

Still do not see how they cannot be improved by aftermarket products in the way say brake pads can though.
    I do not really want them looking 'blingy' (as thread title suggests, just nicer looking. They seem a bit bland looking.
    Think I will get Campag on next bike :lol:

Slightly better looking + marginally better performing (if only in my head as I am turning the pedals) + feeling I was making an effort with my bike is worth £35 to me, but compatibility and flex issues seem too much hassle now.
  • When I was a bit less sarcastic a few years ago, I did buy sone KMC jockey wheels with bearings, essentially because they were anodised blue. Were they better than the standard Shimano? No... did they work? Yes, but not for long as those tiny bearings placed in the most exposed spot on the bike wear out in no time. Did I like the look of them? For a week or so, then they blended with the rest of the bike and I didn't care about them... Did I have to be careful with the bolts? Yes, if you screw them too tight they seize, but if you don't they might come loose... loctite almost a given

It's going to be a brief affair with them.... and a waste of money
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    If you're looking to change them then the Berner ones seem popular with the pros - I believe they're 15t and the increased size allegedly gives a small efficiency improvement.
  • Anonymous
    When I was a bit less sarcastic a few years ago

Is this what BR has done to you :cry:

Given up on ceramic ones now.

Might look at carbon (just out of curiosity)
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Is this what BR has done to you :cry:

No, this is what years of buying crap has done to me...

Here's a shortlist of the stuff i bought over the years that turned out to be worse than the one I had on previously: DT Swiss 1450 wheels; Campagnolo Ultra Torque; Vittoria corsa SC tyres; Ceramic bearings for Ultra Torque; Various sub 200 grams saddles that wore out in no time; Veloce Powershift Ergos; KMC jockey wheels, Koolstop salmon pads...
  • rayjay
    The Berner ones mean a rear mech upgrade. They do look cool. Cancellara is a big fan.

http://shop.berner-bikes.com/drupalprod/schaltwerke

I have had no issues with using carbon or super light jockey wheels. I did run some KCNC [blue ones] for a year or 2 with no issues. I keep my bike clean and do not let the dirt build up.

I Also use a Y BAN self lube chain . I don't really use much lube at all. just a very tiny bit of ceramic lube on the cassette.

My cassette stays pretty much spotless even in the rain where you tend to pick up more dirt. If it does get a bit dirty I Just cut up a baby wipe and give it a clean [ 5mins] same for Jockey wheels.

I have never used Loctite etc , just keep an eye out now and then and make sure nothing is lose but I do that with my whole bike anyway.

I have a carbon saddle that weighs well under 100grms and been riding it for over 4 years no issues.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I have to agree with Ugo's comments.

If I remember correctly, the top jockey wheel in a Shimano rear mech needs some lateral movement (older ones needed a lot). If you don't have this movement, then you are opening yourself up to indexing issues as components wear or cables stretch. I know, I've suffered with this problem before.

Of course you might get lucky.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rayjay
    I never knew that about Shimano. The carbon jockey wheels and the AFC ones do have lateral movement, I am using a red rear mech.
    The carbon jockey wheels I have used have come with little washers so you could remove one or both if you needed some lateral movement. The AFC ones would work as they are quite narrow and fit like any other jockey wheel.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for all the advice but I do not think I am going to bother on this bike now as it seems to much agro.

I am a bit of a bike tart and looking into this a bit has made me lean more towards campag for my next bike though :-)