All Mountain with a DH edge

BEEMB
BEEMB Posts: 9
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Dear All,

Since I'm possibly going to need to make a sensible decision and replace my downhill bike and hardtail with one all mountain do-it-all bike, I was wondering whether anyone has had a chance to ride any of the following.

Having thought long and hard, I'm down to three bikes. All of which, according to reviews, have a downhill bias and would be capable of uplift days, a round of the UK Gravity Enduro or a week in the Alps.

Commencal's Meta SX is an obvious choice... but Banshee's Rune V2 and the Orbea Rallon both appear to have those downhill credentials.

Anyone out there ridden them all?

Matt.

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    None of those, but I got rid of my hardtail and am in the process of selling my dh bike. I have a Santa Cruz nomad and its awesome.

I've ridden it at cwmcarn, FoD and bike park Wales with no trouble at all.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A couple years ago I went from a Giant Glory and aTrance to a Giant Reign X thinking it would make more sense to have one bike for everything. It lasted 9 months before I went back to an xc bike and a dh bike.
    I found that I ended up with a bike which was too heavy and bouncy for xc and too fragile and twitchy for downhill.
  • What about an Orange Alpine which has adjustable shock mount.?
  • cannondale jekyll
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    goytregrit wrote:
    What about an Orange Alpine which has adjustable shock mount.?

Adjustable and fragile shock mount.
  • BEEMB
    BEEMB Posts: 9
    Cheers All. All useful responses but kind of interested in the feedback on the bikes I mentioned. Had a Tracer 2 a couple of years ago - not sure why I sold it..
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I am in a similar position of having a light DH bike, a hardtail and an ageing FS and I am looking at consolidating the DH and FS into one 150mm enduro style bike that can man up to a bike park (I live in Whistler) but still pedal in the valley - my shortlist is in the Heckler/Bronson/Bandit/Covert/etc - not ridden any of the bikes you shortlisted but its worth expanding horizons as for the market place for such bikes is huge. Dont rule out the Nukeproof mega AM/TR offerings either.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Mondraker Dune ;)

just my opinion of course