saddle recomendations

fat lad in lycra
fat lad in lycra Posts: 93
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
im after buying a new saddle, both my bikes have the standard seat they came with, cannondale caad8 and a sensa trentino custom, dont want to spend to much but i do suffer from that pain you get inbetween the 2 main important parts :lol: .....do i need to get a seat with that channel in so theres no pressure on that point, will it make it more comfy
all recomendations will be gratefully recieved
thanks

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Have a look on the web about how to measure yourself for a saddle. My old saddle did that as it was too narrow and also my new wider saddle has a cut out in the middle which makes it fine for riding four hours or more. My old saddle was painful after about an hour.

Also make sure your saddle is horizontal , at the right height and checkout KOPS to get it close to the correct fore / aft position on the rails. This may help and save you some money but it is likely your saddle is too narrow.

Also proper padded shorts or tights will help a bit but not if the saddle is the wrong size.
  • Sorry to jump in on this.
    I too am after a saddle and this is the advice I am being given is to measure the sit bones as Kajjal advises.
    I too am in a bit of pain shall we say and was hoping to be able to put a sofa on my bike but apparently that would not look good.
    Someone also suggested 'kuku penthouse' yes I thought the same too - but it was cycling related :-) Albeit surprisingly expensive.
    Anyway I am still searching but reviews do seem to say the cut out does help in that sensitive area. I also found 'noseless' saddles some people are saying they are great on road bikes but others say as they are meant for Triathlon and they basically put more weight on your wrists. So I am told.
    Anyway I am just as confused now but still searching for that miracle - but most people that wrote me said to start with set up first. If that helps. And as in the previous post from Kajjal he suggests the same as well as the measure of the 'sit bones'. That's the way I am going.
    I found a Selle SMP TRK saddle, which looks interesting and gets some good reviews and also has a dropped type nose which may help comfort wise. Anyway I don't have one so I don't know how good it is but it does seem to get some good reviews from people who had similar complaints to me anyway.
    If you find the magic solution would be interested to hear.