giant defy 2 help

moefoemil
moefoemil Posts: 254
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi all, I've just been given a giant defy 2 road bike, it was in pretty bad shape so I am replacing alot of the components, the thing is, it is 9 speed at the rear and 2 speed at the front. I want to replace the front derailleur, the current one is a shimano tiagra triple. What I want to know is, will I have to replace it with another triple mech or can I use a double speed mech? Hope this makes sense. Thanks. Gaz
Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day

Comments

• double on the front will be fine but you might have to change the shifter as well depending on what it is
  • moefoemil
    moefoemil Posts: 254
    thanks, what is strange is, all the components were on from new and it has a triple front mech, triple shifter but only a 2 speed crank :?: will this make any difference if I fit a 2 speed front mech?
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    What year model is the bike? Are you sure that the double chainset is the original equipment, seems odd to have a double chainset if the LH shifter is a triple model and the FD is a triple. What about the BB, is that the original triple or as it been swopped for a double? Giant used to offer the Defy with a triple chainset.
  • I can't ever remember the Defy 2 being offered with a triple - as I remember (although I could be wrong) these were reserved for the lower spec models. Are you sure the shifter is a triple?
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    What makes you think it is a triple shifter?