Mixing and matching stem bolts - big no no?

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I want a 50mm stem and they are quite rare, but the one I want has those "star bolts" (Torx) and I would hate to have to buy a new tool just to adjust my stem. I don't have disc brakes and it would be the only thing on my bike requiring that tool.

Got one on my Topeak Alien 3 but I view that as an emergencies only tool and don't even want to use it for such stuff.

What if I just use the hex bolts I have in my current stem?

Is doing that ridiculously dangerous? Completely safe?

It's either that or get a white stem. 8)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If they are the same size then no probs. but as there is no standard there is a good chance they will be different.

Nothing stopping you from buying ones that are the correct size and use them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You buy tools when you need to do something. To 'hate to have to buy a new tool' when you need to use a new tool is a bit illogical - when would you want to buy a new tool? A torx key (or bit) isn't going to cost much and is going to be useful. Torx bolts crop up all over - stem to steerer bolts, chainring bolts, brakes all might use Torx (admittedly more on the medium to higher end bikes). It's not the sort of thing you are never going to find a need for again.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Manc33
    I don't understand why they have to deviate away from allen key bolts. :roll:

Why is a Torx bolt better than an allen key bolt? I bet it isn't! :P

It's just a bolt with a gimmicky top on it to me that does nothing a hex/allen bolt doesn't do. It looks like it would never slip but then neither does an allen key.
  • rolf_f
    Manc33 wrote:
    I don't understand why they have to deviate away from allen key bolts. :roll:

Why is a Torx bolt better than an allen key bolt? I bet it isn't! :P

It's just a bolt with a gimmicky top on it to me that does nothing a hex/allen bolt doesn't do. It looks like it would never slip but then neither does an allen key.

No no no no nooooo! They round off far less easily than allen bolts. If torx had been invented first, people would have sniggered and pointed at the chap who came up with allen bolts!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Torx head screws give two advantages. They are easier for a machine to pick up and operate and they can handle more torque, particularly smaller screws like M3 and M2.5. So they are better, if slightly more expensive.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    DesWeller wrote:
    Torx head screws give two advantages. They are easier for a machine to pick up and operate and they can handle more torque, particularly smaller screws like M3 and M2.5. So they are better, if slightly more expensive.

I agree but there is no reason not to use allen head screws of the same size on a stem.
  • rolf_f
    lesfirth wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:

I agree but there is no reason not to use allen head screws of the same size on a stem.

No - but it would be odd to go to the trouble of buying inferior bolts in order to save much the same amount of money as the bolts cost by not buying a torx bit to fit the bolts you've already got!
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Manc33 wrote:

Got one on my Topeak Alien 3 but I view that as an emergencies only tool and don't even want to use it for such stuff.

That's madness.
  • Manc33
    Gozzy wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

That's madness.

lol, if its a one time use I suppose it will be alright, but the "handle" of that tool is pointy and short. Plus I always think it might break. :oops:

I dunno if the Torx on the Alien 3 tool will even fit these bolts. :lol:
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    I've got an Alien RX, which is a similar size to the 3. It'll do the job perfectly fine, if the torx head is the right size.