Headset cover bit fallen off

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited January 2014 in Workshop
8ZgmKlb.jpg

Is this important?

Do I just ignore it, try bodge some cover or need or replace whole headset ?

I think it is a ISO 1 inch threaded headset as its a quill stem headset brand is miche

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Cripes! I'm having difficulty working out exactly what I'm looking at, but whatever it is it looks terminal to me. Is it making any unusual noises when ridden?

Loving the coke bottle mudguard though!
  • Moonbiker
    edited January 2014
    Its an aluminum ring cover that fits over/above the steel bits with the ball race in. Bike still rides fine, I think the bit that fell off is there to keep the join dry/clean
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Why is the tiny allen bolt on the brake caliper unscrewed that far?

I still don't know what that does. :oops: Adjusts one side? Don't say both sides because the cable alone does that!
  • Moonbiker

Not sure why its like that haven't messed with it I think it might be the brake centering screw?
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Moonbiker wrote:

Not sure why its like that haven't messed with it I think it might be the brake centering screw?

It isn't, to center it you can just do that by hand.

My theory is it only moves one side of the caliper, which I guess would be something to do with getting the brake pads exactly flat on the rim. I think I did ask here what its for and no one knew. :lol:

Every other one I have ever seen was flush with the caliper.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    looking at the full resolution image, rather than "fell off", it's more a case of corroded/fatigued to buggery then disintegrated

the silvery bit above what appears to be a ball race is the remains, looks load bearing, this could also fail, probably wouldn't jam but might cause a nasty twitch at the wrong moment

time for a new headset
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Moonbiker
    Ok thanks Sungod

Yeah its corroded & fell off & the bit remaining has gone soft like cheese.

Sounds like a shouldn't ride it if it load bearing.

Do I need to take apart the headset & them measure the steerer diameter with a digital caliper to work our what size headset I need to replace it with?

From reading sheldon 1 inch sounds the most common size but it might be 1 1/8 inch etc.

Frame is belguim brand LUDO.

If it is 1 inch will this one do as replacement?

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcFCLg1VtztCl4-LSlMWD26c6k1HjqtiTo0975PbaUWJF2hoIF&usqp=CAY

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_210157_productId_935302_langId_-1?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=xwxtqwaaa&istBid=tzwt&_$$ja=cgid:8475776884|tsid:35522|cid:166296844|lid:54827573933|nw:search|crid:33910835764|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1&gclid=CIaGl62kkLwCFSvHtAodPy8Auw
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    i'd take it apart and measure

the park tool website is usually good for instructions and pictures...

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... et-service

...if you've not done one before, best to check the procedure and that you're ready with the right tools (or improvisation)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Moonbiker
    Yeah Richard Ballatine does it without any posh tools in his book. :o

Question about stack height I have measured stack height on the old headset it is 39mm, so I think the tifosi one is to high stacked @ 44mm unless steerer is shorterned which prefer not to do?

There is a miche primato one I could get thats 39mm stack but it has some bad reviews & I don't like much that it has a plastic part.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQS1eCbyGbs2CdBEqPlIdmpPUiMQgR9TFPk33cKKBIWDioD3Q1sUg

See:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-687826.html

So whats a good quality headset with the correct stack. Stronglight A9?

Needle bearing ones sound better quality but apparent new A9's now have inferior ball bearings not needle?

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32884&start=0

Some im looking for a recommedation of a needle bearing one, of the right stack. There are lots on ebay but many don'y say stack height, or what bearings.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Must admit I have done it myself, but I wouldn't recommend improvising the installation of a new headset without proper tools. Take it to your LBS to do and ask what headset they can put in for you.

The brake centering screw moves both sides. It's supposed to be for fine adjustment, the fact it's so far out means the main brake bolt is out of line. Undo the main brake bolt (i.e. the one on the back of the fork), tighten the screw in so that it's flush to the brake arm, then retighten main brake bolt with the brake centred. You can now use the brake centering screw for fine adjustments without it sticking out.
  • Moonbiker
    The brake centering screw moves both sides. It's supposed to be for fine adjustment, the fact it's so far out means the main brake bolt is out of line. Undo the main brake bolt (i.e. the one on the back of the fork), tighten the screw in so that it's flush to the brake arm, then retighten main brake bolt with the brake centred. You can now use the brake centering screw for fine adjustments without it sticking out.

Thanks will try this

I did try screwing it in after reading up in park tools book about it, but this just made the break blocks grip the rim/bind if I screwed it in more than it was atm.

Yeah if I fail at doing headset I will have to take it to a LBS, which will probably cost as much as my my bikes worth. :roll: