any good commuting bag for a 17" laptop

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
i am going to start doing some on call rota at work and need an upgrade to my Deuter Race as that won't fit the 17" lenovo monster I will have to carry home and back every day for a week every month so I was wondering if any of you had any experience with this and/or suggestions. I don't need to carry much else apart from the laptop, a lunch box, and a couple of small items of clothing...

Thanks!
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    If it's a pannier:

You could do worse than This

If it's a rucksack I have a swissgear one that is bloody awesome
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gabriel959
    If it's a pannier:

Thanks! I am just after a rucksack or messenger bag as I haven't got panniers.

The rucksack you suggest looks great but I have got a similar from work and would like something a little less bulky if possible. If I can't find anything I will just get one of those Respro Hi-Viz Hump covers for the wet days.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    My Crumpler has lasted years with plenty of abuse. I haven't checked, but I'd have thought that they do something suitable
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    gabriel959 wrote:
    If it's a pannier:

Thanks! I am just after a rucksack or messenger bag as I haven't got panniers.

The rucksack you suggest looks great but I have got a similar from work and would like something a little less bulky if possible. If I can't find anything I will just get one of those Respro Hi-Viz Hump covers for the wet days.

The pannier doubles as a messenger back as it has a strap fitting you can use. Not sure how people CAN cycle with a messenger bag myself. Now I come to think of it I have the 17" one lying around at home doing nowt.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • This looks a good deal but maybe not big enough for what you need.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Have been using a timbuk2 pheonix for the past few months which should fit a 17" laptop:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/timbuk2-phoenix-backpack-35l/

Very comfy and seems durable and never had any water ingress (so far). Although it's got a big capacity (35L) it doesn't feel bulky and you can cinch the sides in to compress things.
  • Have been using a timbuk2 pheonix for the past few months which should fit a 17" laptop:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/timbuk2-phoenix-backpack-35l/

Very comfy and seems durable and never had any water ingress (so far). Although it's got a big capacity (35L) it doesn't feel bulky and you can cinch the sides in to compress things.

Wot jockywilson said

oh for the days of Top of the Pops. If you don't understand my reference read the credits from 1.36 to 1.48
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I like my Rapha backpack although it's stupidly expensive. I'm sure there are cheaper ones that are as good.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    +1 for Rapha. I have one of the original smaller ones for my 14" and I really rate it. I like that it has a structured narrow profile instead of the big saggy protruding norm. It's a laptop backpack that works great on the commute and is stylish/professional looking enough to use in your civvies/work clothes.
  • gabriel959
    Thanks for the suggestions, the Rapha looks amazing but it is only for up to 15" laptops so that is a no.

The Timbuk2 looks great too and within budget but it is not streamlined as my Deuter, which screams go fast :D
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • meanredspider
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions, the Rapha looks amazing but it is only for up to 15" laptops so that is a no.

The Timbuk2 looks great too and within budget but it is not streamlined as my Deuter, which screams go fast :D

What are the dimensions of your 17" laptop and I'll see if it would fit in the Rapha if you like? My 11" MacBook Air fits in SIDEWAYS so it's quite big
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gabriel959
    Actually I reckon it will be fine as it is a 15.6" not a 17" :) It is a big one though as it has an extended battery though...
    Dimensions below
    372.8mm x 245.1mm x 32.8-36.6mm
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • meanredspider
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Actually I reckon it will be fine as it is a 15.6" not a 17" :) It is a big one though as it has an extended battery though...
    Dimensions below

I think it will fit. It will be snug but that's probably what you want. I think there's a good enough chance that it will fit that it's worth a try if the price doesn't put you off. I like the details in it - the only thing I'm not keen on is the waist strap.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Dimensions below

I think it will fit. It will be snug but that's probably what you want. I think there's a good enough chance that it will fit that it's worth a try if the price doesn't put you off. I like the details in it - the only thing I'm not keen on is the waist strap.

The bag looks great, the price not so much. Thanks for checking, I do appreciate it, I am going to have another look just in case I see something similar for less money. I am going to try and get it through work if I can though :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Get work to supply you with a permanent laptop for home? Seriously, five days of carrying a 15" laptop isn't fun or good for you.
    Also, check who is 'responsible' for the laptop while you have it? I was at a company once where the employee was nominally on the hook for replacement costs if the laptop was nicked off-site.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • gabriel959
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Get work to supply you with a permanent laptop for home? Seriously, five days of carrying a 15" laptop isn't fun or good for you.
    Also, check who is 'responsible' for the laptop while you have it? I was at a company once where the employee was nominally on the hook for replacement costs if the laptop was nicked off-site.

lol, it is only 1 week a month, not every day, and I get paid for it, very handsomely as well. I work for IBM and have just read their policy and if the laptop was stolen I wouldn't have to paid for its replacement
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    +1 for messenger bags. Thems skinny jeans fixie w*ankers have a point about them...

I ve a chrome one but i think they only do 15in max too so no good for you. I have an old timbuk2 bag (currently in storage) that I ve abused for 6+ years - even having an acid bottle explode in it (no really) and after a go through the washing machine it looks tip top!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I have a medium Bailey Works SuperPro messenger bag. It's comfortable and sits well on my back. Easily fits a large laptop and "stuff" inside, as I use mine on those occasions when I need to cart one around.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • gabriel959
    Agent57 wrote:
    I have a medium Bailey Works SuperPro messenger bag. It's comfortable and sits well on my back. Easily fits a large laptop and "stuff" inside, as I use mine on those occasions when I need to cart one around.

That one looks amazing but it is even more expensive than the Rapha rucksack :|
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i bought a timbuk2 messenger bag after 7 years of commuting with a normal rucksack less than 2 months later i had slipped disc, related? dunno but pretty bloody weird considering i bought it to protect a previous damaged shoulder from a rotator cuff injury and my surgeon agrees that its quite possible that it could have caused the extra stress on neck.

want to buy an almost new red timbuk2 messenger bag?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I just bought a DHB Slice (30l) from Wiggle as I was struggling to fit all my crap into my Deuter Race EXP Air. It was only £25

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-luggit-slice-30l-rucksack/

Its probably bigger than I need, but I found that I'm damaging the Deuter on the days I need to squeeze more kit in.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url