Unpadded bib tights?

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I am looking to replace my 4 year old pair from Aldi. These have been good but the fabric is now peeling and disintegrating so its time for a replacement. I really liked them having a windproof material on the front and would like the replacements to have a similar material. Are there any decent ones out there which aren't too expensive?
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    Check out Wiggle's DHB gear. I've a pair of long-legged padded tights from 4 years ago and they are still going strong. Probably the best value purchase in a long time and reasonably priced. Some of the colours don't look half bad either.
  • gabriel959
    aidso wrote:
    Check out Wiggle's DHB gear. I've a pair of long-legged padded tights from 4 years ago and they are still going strong. Probably the best value purchase in a long time and reasonably priced. Some of the colours don't look half bad either.

Thanks for the recommendation. They only have one unpadded bibtight, the vaeon roubaix. I have those with a pad and they are really good but not as warm as my Aldi ones, probably because they are missing any kind of windstopper material.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Lusso - either Roubaix or Max Repel.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    Are there any decent ones out there which aren't too expensive?

It's actually quite a hard thing to find. Plenty of winter weight padded bibtights but very few unpadded and those that there are (eg Assos) are expensive.

My solution this winter was to get the excellent DHB Vaeon Zero padded bibtights and wear very cheap (Aldi) thinly padded lycra shorts underneath. The combo is good for long rides down to about three degrees C.

THe DHB Vaeon Roubaix unpadded tights are also excellent but only good down to maybe five or six degrees.
  • Can recommend Impsport ones,

http://www.impsport.com/Products/IM0403 ... -bibtights

Not that cheap (won them in a bundle) but bloody warm :)
  • KnightOfTheLongTights
    KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2014
    I've struggled with this for a while.
    Basically some manufacturer needs to make padded bib-tights that are warmer from mid-thigh upwards (awaits 'ah but they have' replies).
    I have some snug well-elasticated running tights that work well over padded bib shorts for average autumn / winter temps, when my DHB padded bib longs can be too warm.
    For the coldest days I have a pair of tight running shorts that I slip on over the top of my padded bib longs.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    planetx did some up until recently that were ace (don't have the windstopper but still warm enough to do the job when other factors make it too cold) and not expensive, unpadded

dunno if they are going to stock them again, try emailing brant or Jamie burrows direct ?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    +1 for the Lusso - reasonably priced too. Also for the last few years I've been using Polaris and they've been fine - if anything a little easier to move in than the lusso.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 wrote:

It's actually quite a hard thing to find. Plenty of winter weight padded bibtights but very few unpadded and those that there are (eg Assos) are expensive.

My solution this winter was to get the excellent DHB Vaeon Zero padded bibtights and wear very cheap (Aldi) thinly padded lycra shorts underneath. The combo is good for long rides down to about three degrees C.

THe DHB Vaeon Roubaix unpadded tights are also excellent but only good down to maybe five or six degrees.

Thanks, I already have some Gore Oxygen Windstopper ones which are super warm even in subzero temperatures, the Aldi ones were used in the commute for a week with different shorts every day. I have seen some lovely Assos ones which look great but they are £135.

The Lusso's seem great, I am just a bit worried about durability as my last piece of Lusso clothing disintegrated with only a couple of seasons of use.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    gabriel959 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

The Lusso's seem great, I am just a bit worried about durability as my last piece of Lusso clothing disintegrated with only a couple of seasons of use.

Well I'm into my third winter of daily commuting in the same pair of Lusso Max Repel bibtights with no problems...and let's be honest at around 50 notes, thery're a damn sight cheaper than Assos and Gore.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • gabriel959
    derosa wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

Well I'm into my third winter of daily commuting in the same pair of Lusso Max Repel bibtights with no problems...and let's be honest at around 50 notes, thery're a damn sight cheaper than Assos and Gore.

Good to know, I would probably get those.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Endura do some for about £70 with zippers at the ankle and the fly
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Basically some manufacturer needs to make padded bib-tights that are warmer from mid-thigh upwards (awaits 'ah but they have' replies).

That's what unpadded tights over shorts are for!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gabriel959

I know but they are just roubaix fleeced, for that i already have some DHB Vaeons which are great but not warm enough for when the weather dips below 5c IME.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Rolf F wrote:

That's what unpadded tights over shorts are for!

well yeah, but this would be the royale-with-cheese option, no?
    As it would be in one piece, without the slight slippage you get having an extra layer between pad and saddle, and, er it's just one garment and road cyclists never really wear two things when one would do.
    Doesn't really bother me, but does surprise me that given the massive - even overwhelming - choice in almost every area of bike accessories and clothing, that this isn't one of them.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I have the Planet X ones, they are very warm. Can't imagine how cold it would have to be to need anything warmer but I'm pretty sure it would be too cold to safely cycle on the roads (unless you're planning to invest in some spiked tyres at the same time).
  • gabriel959
    BigMat wrote:
    I have the Planet X ones, they are very warm. Can't imagine how cold it would have to be to need anything warmer but I'm pretty sure it would be too cold to safely cycle on the roads (unless you're planning to invest in some spiked tyres at the same time).

Matt you are a big chap like me (I am 6' 4" and 83kg) what size are you using any which ones exactly did you get from the Planet X website?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x