fox talas adjustable travel forks and bike buying advice

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Can someone offer some advice/views on these forks please ?

I'm looking at buying a canyon bike and some of the models i'm looking at nerve al+ 8 and spectral 7 have these fox talas forks with adjustable travel from 150 to 120 and 140 to 110 on the spectral.

I have no idea if its worth having or not sounds like a good idea to be able to lower the front end but is that only for going downhills or can you use it to lower the bike to ride flatter trails but then it will mess up the geometry of the bike ?

I can easily do over 25+ miles on a ride out near where i live and wonder whether i really need that much suspension and more of a xc full suspension type bike. terrain varies where i ride woods, hard pack canal trails and a country park with some hills i can go down really fast.

Looking to get over to dalby and gisburn to name a couple of places i will be off to over the next few months with mates and wonder what type of bike i can get away with riding over at these places.

I guess its too early to ask if there is any canyon spectral owners on the forum yet ?

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    the idea of lowering the travel is to adjust the geometry to make climbing a bit easier
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Lowering the front end make climbs easier... for the riding you describe I'd suggest the 140-110 forks.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have adjustable travel forks (120-150mm Revelations). Seemed like a good idea when I bought them but in reality it makes very little difference when climbing so I never use it.
  • swod1
    I have adjustable travel forks (120-150mm Revelations). Seemed like a good idea when I bought them but in reality it makes very little difference when climbing so I never use it.

I see, I thought you could use them at 120 for not just climbing hills.

Are those on your mega bike, what do you use that for xc, all day rides ?

I've asked a mate who really likes fox forks and he says like you it doesn't make much difference but guess it's useful to have.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Yes, they're on my Mega which gets used for everything from 100km xc rides to enduro.
    I can't see any good reason to drop the fork travel other than for steep climbs if you have problems keeping the front wheel planted.
  • swod1
    Yes, they're on my Mega which gets used for everything from 100km xc rides to enduro.
    I can't see any good reason to drop the fork travel other than for steep climbs if you have problems keeping the front wheel planted.

Hmm you do pretty much everything on your mega then, i have seen crc are doing the 26inch frame for 875ish or was a week or so ago.

I might look into a bike build, mega tr frame with pike forks or revelation rct3 .
  • rockmonkeysc
    I went for revs just because they were £200 and lighter.