What Bike Computer/Sat Nav to Buy?

robpiper
robpiper Posts: 23
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi All

I've recently planned the route (via google Maps) for cycling End to End in June this year and I have created gpx profiles for each individual day.

I'm now looking at buying a bike computer that also acts as a sat nav that will allow me to upload these profiles each day to direct me down my designated route.

Since I am doing the ride for charity I am trying to keep the cost of the ride to a minumum and I'm looking for the cheapest possible option. I've seen that the Garmin Edge 810 offers this facility but are there any other cheaper versions? Or alternatively, is it possible to download an app to my Android Smartphone to allow it to work as such a device?

It will be my intention to use the device for my training rides in the build up to the event.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Comments

• Try the Bryton 50/60
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    There are numerous smartphone apps that will do what you want (e.g. endomondo) but as mentioned the battery will be an issue. An external battery will get you round that but adds weight and not as elegant as a garmin. Still, it's a lot cheaper.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Try the Bryton 50/60
    +1 for the Bryton Rider 50. Haven't actually seen the touchscreen 60 version on sale anywhere yet though...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Try OSMAND on your Android. It will accept .gpx and give you turn by turn directions. If you turn the screen off it should last 8+ hours easily. And spare batteries for Androids can be had for £2 or £3 on ebay . I wish I had had it on my LEJOG. I now use it all the time. Be warned, though: without the visuals (which would exhaust the battery quickly) it can be a bit tricky to follow in town centres! Try it and with practice you should find it meets your needs.
  • Slightly off topic, but you mention "since you are doing the ride for charity, I'm trying to keep the costs of the ride to minimum".

Funny statement to make, or am I reading to much into it?
  • Guys

Thank you very much for your help.

I've downloaded the OSMAND and it seems great. It's accepting my GPX too which is good news. I will probably look to get the Edge Touring in the next couple of months too, all being well.

It is for charity and what I mean are the personal costs to myself. I plan to raise a decent amount for Prostate Cancer but I do not have any sponsors so I am funding the ride out of my own pocket. As such, I'd rather not spend an additional £200-300 on a computer when I have accommodation, food, fuel, etc to pay for.

Thanks again guys