Grips (again)!

Cookeh
Cookeh Posts: 351
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I know this thread has been appeared a million times, and two answers seem to come up - one is Superstar Supergripa, the other is ODI (either Ruffian or Troy Lee Designs). ODI are out of my budget, and the Supergripas need to be paired with gloves. I'm looking for a set of grips, preferably lock-ons, that can be used comfortably without gloves as I tend to forgo them in summer.

Im aware of KCNC foam grips from eBay (although they arent lock on), but I've also stumbled across On-One Half-Bob grips which are dirt cheap atm in the sales - has anyone used these?

Are there any other grips I should be looking at, around £10 max?

Cheers chaps!

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    You can get Clarks lock-on grips for under a tenner from eBay. I've never used them though, so can't vouch for how good/bad they are. Not the only brand for cheap, so worth a look.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    used superstar, uberbike and PDW metals and I prefer the PDW ones. currently got the KCNC foam ones on the bike and they seem better than the superstar/uberbike lockons but not as comfy as the PDW ones
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    ODI are expensive but I have found that they last a lot longer than some of the cheaper alternatives
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    edited January 2014
    ODI are expensive but I have found that they last a lot longer than some of the cheaper alternatives

Yup, I've had two sets of ODI Rogues which have lasted way longer then any other grips I've owned. Gone through a fair few sets of different brands on my other bikes in the same time, so whilst cheap might be good in the short term, if they wear quickly then it's a false economy really. I'm using SDG Han Solo at the moment, which are made by ODI. I reckon these should last as long as the Rogues. My girlfried has SuperStar Excel on her bike and I really like the feel of them, but not sure how long they'll last. A steal at £8.99 though. FFIW I also ride gloveless as much as possible, like the OP.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I like my on one lock on foam grips - they have a bulge in the middle which means less cramp for me.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I have used these before - £4.99 from On-One

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BTOOLOG/on_one_bob_on_lock_on_grips

Similar to ODI Ruffians, though obviously finish is not up to he same standard. But I think that for a £5 they're very good? Red, clear or white only atm though
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Spend the extra and get ODI's. I had 2 sets of Troy Lee's and they were great, both sets lasted really well only really changed them as I fancied trying out a few others out there, but I'm temped to go back to the Troy Lee's because they are just bloody brilliant!
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    BigAl wrote:

Similar to ODI Ruffians, though obviously finish is not up to he same standard. But I think that for a £5 they're very good? Red, clear or white only atm though

Yeah been looking at those - look good for the money. ATM its between those or Superstar/KCNC foam grips.
    lawman wrote:
    Spend the extra and get ODI's. I had 2 sets of Troy Lee's and they were great, both sets lasted really well only really changed them as I fancied trying out a few others out there, but I'm temped to go back to the Troy Lee's because they are just bloody brilliant!

Its not as simple as just spending the extra, I dont have the extra - that's why I have a budget! :p They do review well, admittedly, but my grips are shot to pieces and at this moment in time I can only push to £10 for a set of grips.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120

Very much this! I would get a few months out of Superstar's with regular use (that's with flipping them and everything) before they were dead. Now on a really old set of Rogue's from a mate. No idea how long he used them for but I've been using them for about 8 months now and I haven't needed to flip them yet.

If you really can't afford the extra though, ESI's are good and can be found for under £10. The Chunky ESI's are very nearly as good as my Rogue's, just a little more fragile but also about half the weight which is why I use Rogue's on my AM and DH bikes and the ESI's on my XC bike. Last time I checked, Planet X had the Racer's Edge (thin) for £8. Don't worry about them being slip on's, they go on just as easy as lock on's with the right bar plugs (I use an old Lizard Skins which is just a tiny bit larger than the bars for installation) and they aren't too bad to get off either. Only slight bother is you have to wait a few hours for them to dry after installation but I've never had them slip while riding.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I use these on my bikes - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-wcs-truegrip-foam-handlebar-grips/
    They have never come loose but are easy enough to remove if I need to, I don't like padded gloves so these are ideal for using lightweight XC gloves. They have hardly worn at all in over a year.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Cookeh wrote:
    ODI are out of my budget, and the Supergripas need to be paired with gloves. I'm looking for a set of grips, preferably lock-ons, that can be used comfortably without gloves as I tend to forgo them in summer.

Look at the Superstar Size Zeros, or the Uberbike lock ons - both are pretty much the same, but the Superstars are 150mm, while the Uberbikes are 130mm (I've got a pair of each). Neither have the half waffle pattern of the Supergrippas, both are in your budget. The Superstars have a little more give in their feel - they have cut outs in the internal plastic sleeve, while the Uberbikes don't.

These are the Superstars (Uberbikes are the same pattern and I bet come from the same factory):

DSC_8905800x532_zpse27b8e86.jpg
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    BigAl wrote:

I've just taken a set of these off my hard tail, they were hard (which I didn't mind) but wore smooth on one side within maybe a year. I replaced them with some exotic ones which, other than a slightly nicer looking finish on the lock rings are exactly the same feel on the grips.

I've just put SDG Han Solos on the FS and they are a different class. A real quality feeling bit of kit.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not mentioned above so I'll bang them in...

Renthal Kevlar, not lock on, but easy to fit, really nice feel with or without gloves, never seem to wear and about £13-14.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I use the ESI chunky grips on my DH bike - use them with gloves but they are solid, dont move and comfortable.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I use the ESI chunky grips on my DH bike - use them with gloves but they are solid, dont move and comfortable.

+1