Wheel Skewers

Robert72
Robert72 Posts: 84
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Sorry if it's been asked before, is there a right side for the Skewers to be in from? Reason I'm asking is Santa brought be a new road bike and the rear skewer is in from the non drive side and the front from the other side.

Comments

• No, any side will work... normally people use the fastener on the left, but if you like it on the right at the front, that's fine too
    left the forum March 2023
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    I think it is a question of practicalities - a QR lever floating around the rear mechanism would not look to good so fit it the other (non drive side) and most people tend to match the front to the back, but as far as the front is concerned you can have the QR any side you like.
    Regards
    Alan
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's convention to have the levers on the left hand side of the bike. Makes sense at the rear since there's usually less room for the lever on the drive side due to the transmission. Doesn't really matter at the front, but OCD usually means people like to match front and rear.
  • Thanks for the replies, Halfords told me it depended if I was right or left handed !!
  • Oh no... if you are left handed the all groupset is on the left side of the bike... :wink:

Laurent-Fignon.jpeg
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Oh no... if you are left handed the all groupset is on the left side of the bike... :wink:

That means I'm going to have to rebuild all of my 5 bikes............... :?
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • This could revolutionise cycling!
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Oh no... if you are left handed the all groupset is on the left side of the bike... :wink:

Laurent-Fignon.jpeg

I reckon that would have cost him about 9 seconds over a 25km TT
  • Oh no... if you are left handed the all groupset is on the left side of the bike... :wink:

Laurent-Fignon.jpeg

9 seconds is all he needed that day...
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537

Laurent-Fignon.jpeg

9 seconds is all he needed that day...

A crappy old pair of clip on tri-bars fitted and he would have won. They just didn't realise back then.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    If you have brake discs then on the opposite side.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    FatTed wrote:
    If you have brake discs then on the opposite side.

Oooh no!
    Faster than a tent.......